Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    safa Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Shoplifting & citizenship
    Hi ,
    Last week I got caught in shoplifting. I am waiting for my fingerprinting. I am waiting for the court notice. My both kids & husband are citizen. This is a petty theft case & this is my first mistake. I don't know what to do before I have to go to the court. I stays at home(full time mom). I am 32 yr old. We are ready to pay all claims which also I may recive in the mail. I am currently doing community services over the weekends. What else should I Do. My lawyer said he will go with us during the interview for citizenship. Can you guys give me some suggetions .

Thanks

Jul 19, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Guys I am waiting for yr replies... pl help me. I am very stressed. Cannot pay attention on anything.I didn't received anything in the mail yet. The police officer said they filed two cases against me. Civil & criminal. Officer tried her best to convence the JC Penny store manager but they refused. I won't do it again . I made promise to myself. I am so ashamed in front of my hubby & don't want anybody to call me thief. I am a mother of one infant & one toddler.I am just in the home. I do not have guts to go to again in the mall. I am from Maryland.
    Please give some advise. I am worried about not getting citizenship. I registered myself for community service. I will start from this weekend. Doing community service in advance, reading books related to petty theft, write in advance that what I learned from this... do you think will help?
    Thank you in advance.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 08:04 AM
    These situations are reviewed case by case, it would be good to show the restitutions you are making but it's hard to give a definite answer. But the charge won't appear on your criminal record until after you are found guilty in court so they just have the arrest record to go on. If they have already run your criminal record and police report before the date you shoplifted they won't see it so you might not have to worry.

Like I said, this is hard to judge. If they do/have seen this on your police records then it's up to the immigration officer to decide if this will affect your application. I would say bring your lawyer and any documents to show your trying to make up for this and hope for the best.

Jul 20, 2007, 10:25 AM
    I hav'nt received fingerprinting letter yet. When I will go for the interview, that time I have to tell them everything. I cannot lie. I am afraid then they will refused to give me the citizenship. Do u think taking initial steps like community work etc. will help me in the court. Its my first fault so definitely they won't put me into the jail. What else do you think can happen?

Thanks
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Well as for the actual outcome of the court case my guess is your probably right, community service and maybe a fine would be all that would happen.

All Immigration will care about is that there is something on your record. The punishment is none of their business. It's really going to come down to how you explain yourself at the interview I guess.

Jul 20, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Thank you very much for yr response. I am little relaxed now. Money is not a issue for us. We will pay whatever they say. My lawyer will join me for the interview. I hope immgration people will get the right answer. Thank you again for yr prompt reponce. Much appreciated.

Jul 23, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Hi,
    I have one more question. I have registerd myself to different community service organization. Everybody giving me a different orientation date. During Orientation they will take my picture & also check my background. I have'nt received any court notice yet. Do u think it is in my record already. Will these organizations will reject me after that?

Thanks
    asai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by safa
    Hi ,
    Last week i got caught in shoplifting. I am waiting for my fingerprinting. I am waiting for the court notice. My both kids & husband are citizen. This is a petty theft case & this is my first mistake. I dont know what to do before i have to go to the court. I stays at home(full time mom). I am 32 yr old. We are ready to pay all claims which also i may recive in the mail. I am currently doing community services over the weekends. What else should i Do. My lawyer said he will go with us during the interview for citizenship. Can u guys give me some suggetions .

thanks
    Hi safa!
    What's the situation?
    When is your interview date or citizenship?
    dgafxxx Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Honestly I wouldn't feel bad for you if they denied your citizenship. I'm all for people from other countries making their home in America. But do you realize people like you that shoplift cause consequences for everyone else here in America. Companies raise their prices on goods, to help compensate for loss prevention expenses. I'm sure this wasn't your first time, probably just the first time you got caught.
    sunny29978 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

May 11, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Hey,Dgafxxx ,Just like anyone in this website, we all came here for one reason to search for a helpful advice to know what we should do. Everyone in this world makes mistake, it could be small, it could be big, it could affect to your reputation, it could affect to your family.. ect.. just remember that no one perfect , OK! If we were so perfect , we could not live in this world . I don't go into this website to get your critisim because I got enough in my ears and now if any of you out there think that you could help us ,( the one who convicted small incident) and then post the asnwer and help us. If you don't help, please don't say anything and go away from this website.
    Rayjan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Hi Safa,
    I have the same case. Any news?
    Thanks,
    Ray

May 13, 2008, 09:42 PM
    I had a bad luck.
    I have done my finger print for citizenship, now want to go to final interview for citizenship
    In June 25.
    I got a citation for a minor shoplifting. My court is 2 weeks before my immigration interview.
    Help me what shall I do in the interview. I know I have to be honest. They don't know the case, but I'll let them know.
    Any idea would be appriciated.
    Thanks,
    Rayjan

May 14, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Hi Ryan
    I don't know should I tell you that you have bad luck or good luck , because when I went to see my Attorney and he showed me one case just like yours , that girl did fingerprint for interview citizen and wait for the Interview day and she got caught for shoplifting,she also go to Interview and honestly with Officer that she got caught and had to to the court . And she passed the test , she got her citizen and still have probation time , that was amazing , that's all my attorey showed me , but I don't know that is true or not?
    Well , let me tell you , we should not worry , just be happy when you interview and honestly eveything when talking to Immigration officer, because everyone can make mistake in this world
    I still have to wait for 3 years probation, and maybe I will have it for early termination in order to get my Citizen test
    Anynews , let me know ASAP , OK ,
    Bye
    Emily

May 14, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Thanks for your concern,
    Well I have police citation, I know I should tell that to the interviewer. It could be one of this:
    1- Interviewr accept me without any problem ang getting my naturalization citizensheep .
    2-Since this is kind of pending case, he/she will point me to another date after final result of the case(court... ) , if it happens, and if my case be dissmised, no problem , otherwise in a convection situation, I should wait and file my application after 5 years. Hope it doesn't happen .
    Let see I'm lucky or not...
    Ray

May 15, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Hi Ryan
    Yep . There will be 2 options going to happen to you. But I will hope everything would be Ok with you , but I think you should get advices from Attorneys before you go to interview OK ? Please let me know everything after the interview day OK?
    If you don't mind please contact me by the personal email: [email protected].
    Or let me have your email, and I will contact you
    Emily
    swash Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Hi safa, did you ever go to your interview. And if so please update us on what happened. Other people might make ues of your experience. Thank you and good luck.
    swash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Hi safa, did you ever go to your interview. And if so please update us on what happened. Other people might make ues of your experience. Thank you and good luck.
    swash Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 06:58 PM

I was also cought shoplifting and I got a CWAP the item was aaround $59. I got 6 months probation and paid a $200 fine. My probation is ending in December. My question is , should I apply for citizenship after my probation is over and if so, what are my chances of passing. Does anyone have similar experience with this i.e safa. Don't take me wrong I regret my action and being a Nurse graduating soon it hurts me every day. Help!
    Marien Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 02:04 PM
    Hey Safa... What happen to your case... Since it was five years ago,, did you get your citizenship?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoplifting [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Dear, I am 19 years old. I was shoplifting four days ago and I was caught by the security in Zellers. I got a fingerprint date and court date which is next month and I am fined under $5000.00. I am really nervous and don't know what to do, I can't sleep at nights and neither can concentrate...

400 amp service with 2-200 amp panels & 320 amp socket [ 6 Answers ]

Hi TK. I am running 400 amp service into my new contruction home. The electric compnay is running a single 400 amp line to the meter. I have to split it to the two panels at that point. You had told me once before that I need a 320 amp meter socket and then run 2-200 amp lines to the separate...

Dual Citizenship American & Greek [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an American married to a Greek citizen who was naturalized an now has dual citizenship in the US and Greece. My question is "Is it possible for me to obtain Greek citizenship (and passport) through my marriage to her, and if so, how do I go about it?" Thanks in advance all you...

About shoplifting [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my sister and I went shopping at JcPenny's. We went in the same dressing room together and while I was trying on clothes she slipped clothing in her bag and my bag. We owere stopped when coming out of the store and the people took us to the back and they told her that she would get papers in the...

Shoplifting under $40 [ 7 Answers ]

So I made a wrong decision out of a stupid challenge with a friend and shoplifted 40$ worth o stuff at JC penney in Kansas and got caught when we were exiting the store. I came clean and the police officer came there and gave me a court date to appear next month. I am very scared as to what is...

View more questions Search