Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mockingbird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2005, 02:04 PM
    Population Size
    What is the minimum population size from which one can draw a random sample and have a 95% confidence level?
    reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Jul 20, 2005, 04:39 PM
    95% confidence level
    I will rephrase your problem slightly.

If we take n samples from a population that has the normal distribution with mean MU and standard deviation SIGMA, and calculate the sample mean XBAR from our sample, then what is the value for n so that the probability is 95% that XBAR will be close to MU?

(XBAR - MU)/(SIGMA/SQUAREROOT(n)) = 1.96

SQUAREROOT(n) = 1.96SIGMA/.95

n = (1.96SIGMA/.95)^2

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

World Population: [ 12 Answers ]

"The eugenics problem is one of hopeful realization of the urgency of the global population problem. What is needed is not just a reduction in rate growth but an actual reduction in numbers because many scientists believe that the point was passed long ago at which the total population can be...

Size of dog [ 2 Answers ]

My 6 month old labX weighs 50 pounds and only goes up to about my knee, the vet at 4 months told us she'd be roughly 90 pounds (her dad was 120), her mom was only 60 pounds, will she grow any taller? She isn't overweight, nice and sleek looking, she eats about 4 1/2 cups of food a day and is very...

Right Size? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Has anyone tried right size? It's some kind of weight loss smoothy or drink or something. I was wondering if anyone has tried it, how it tasted, and if it worked? Thanks...

View more questions Search