Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcvintage Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 06:06 PM
    ICM271 rplcm'nt for HH84AA
    My PDB ( Payne Daynight Bryant ) furnace is a model 396GAW.
    I recently replaced the fan control circuit board because the ice cube relay was hanging up, and not releasing, allowing the fan to run continuously. I was able to nurse it through a season by cleaning and polishing the contact, but ultimately, it needed to be replaced. Research on the web netted an ICM271 controller, advertised as a direct replacement for the HH84AA010 card. Installation is as advertised... direct replacement, but that is where any similarity ended. :(
    My furnace acted possessed from the moment the T-stat called for heat. The fan cycled on-off-on-off with a 1 or 2 second cadence, with every stage of the heat-on process, from opening the vent damper, ignition of the pilot, opening of the main gas valve, the fan came on, or turned off in sync.
    After much discussion, and after trying his suggestions (replace the transformer, replace the t-stat) I was able to have a replacement card sent to me by a curteous customer service technician at ICM, but the goblins are still there.
    I believe that their processor is susceptible to EMI which is generated by the damper motor and spark ignitor of the furnace. Maybe the ICM controller would work on a furnace equipped with a glow ignitor, and no damper motor, but I am not a happy camper.
    Has anyone had similar experience, or success, using this control board?
    Does anyone have an HH84AA board I could have that they've replaced and don't need anymore? Please call 206-243-4305 if you do. I don't care what condition the relay is in, because I will replace it. Thanks all.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Look on the board for a tab that you have to break off for use with a vent damper, it should be on the side of the board. I seem to remember this tab that is broken off or a plug pushed on to it.

Jul 18, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Thanks for your reply ACETC . I did that, and because the circuit card is so thin, I had to add solder to the contact pads so my damper control connecter could make adequate contact... which it does. What else you got??
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 07:16 PM
    Have you checked the end switch on the damper motor, (the end switch tells the controller that the damper is open) it may be faulty and cycling the controller.
    A shot in the dark! Mike

Aug 3, 2007, 08:45 PM
    I appologize for the long delay in my reply...
    Another good suggestion, but not the solution... I have since purchased a fan control card from my local furnace repair shop that they claimed is their factory replacement. I was sceptical because it looks verrrrry much like the ICM card. That, and the fact that they offer no refund on over the counter purchases... (do-it-yourselfers beware )
    The price was high, but I saw the name Carrier on the printed circuit, so took the chance. I would not be surprised if ICM is the manufacturer for Carrier... any way this controller works the way it is supposed to. I ran several cycles to be certain, and there were no undesirable symptoms. The bottom line: Don't BUY ICM!!
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Glad you got it fixed , factory replacement is always best way to go.

Aug 4, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Oh, I agree 100%. The troubling thing is when I searched the net for a factory replacement (two years ago... has it been that long? ) ICM popped up as the direct replacement. I want to stress for anybody else looking for a replacement for their Payne Daynight Bryant HH84AA010 fan control card beware of ICM. It could be dangerous.
    arvilee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Glad you posted I need to replace the same card on my bryant gas furnace and of course was looking at the ICM card. My board is frying the transformer repeatedly. What did you wind up getting?

The other unit I'm looking at HH84AA020 united tech part which claims to be "the replacement", but several showing that number and manufacturer look like different boards

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ICM271 Carrier Replacement board Fuse blows [ 4 Answers ]

My Furnace recently stopped working and the Furnace Fan stayed on constantly. I replaced the original Fan Control circuit board (HH84AA011) with a ICM271 drop in replacement board. Still nothing came on, not even the constant fan. I check the 120V-24V transformer and found no 24V output so I...

View more questions Search