Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shakatah Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 08:38 AM
    NY, NJ, PA tax scenario
    Wife works in NYC, lives in NJ
    I work in NJ and live in NJ.
    Just got married so next year will be the first time we file together.
    Considering buying a home in PA and both would continue to work at our current jobs.

Combined income: over $200K
    Generally speaking how would the move to PA affect our overall tax liability?
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Jul 18, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shakatah
    Wife works in NYC, lives in NJ
    I work in NJ and live in NJ.
    Just got married so next year will be the first time we file together.
    Considering buying a home in PA and both would continue to work at our current jobs.

Combined income: over $200K
    Generally speaking how would the move to PA affect our overall tax liability?
    Would file in states where you have earned income plus PA
    shakatah Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 11:35 AM
    NY, NJ, PA tax scenario
    Quote Originally Posted by delite
    would file in states where you have earned income plus PA
    Thanks. Delite, I know we will have to file for each state in which income is earned, however I am more interested in how the move from NJ to PA would affect our overall income tax liability with combined income over $200K, if she continues to work in NYC and I continue to work in NJ.

Actually, just to be absolutely clear she would need to file NY and PA, I would only need to file PA due to reciprocity agreement between PA and NJ.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
    On the federal side of the house, you are AT LEAST in the 25% marginal tax bracket, right on the edge of the 33% bracket.

I expect you are in the higher brackets for PA as well. The NY situation should not be too bad since only HER income will be taxed, plus PA should be giving you a credit for the NY taxes paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scenario [ 2 Answers ]

How do I install a 150W driveway light 200m from the house, the light switch is on the wall outside the front door under the porch

Solve this scenario [ 4 Answers ]

Scenario You are one of a team of managers working in popular hotel. You are responsible for the smooth & efficient running of the hotel kitchen. Within the kitchen you have 3 chefs & 8 kitchen assistants who carry out a variety of tasks supporting the chefs. Other managers within the hotel have...

Does this scenario sound like retaliation in the workplace [ 2 Answers ]

I believe I was fired out of retaliation for assisting my son (part owner of a construction company) during the time he was attempting to execute the buy-sell provision of the company. The assistance requested by my son on Friday, March 9th 2007 was to: 1. Relate to him information regarding...

Summary on scenario [ 2 Answers ]

Attached documents: Email from Fred Thurnham and 3 application forms. It is 11 October 2006. You are Edith Jones. You are working on a project to allocate up to £5,000 to one of three causes to benefit from funds available from the Welsh Lottery Board. Your manager, Fred Thurnham, has given you...

Wood siding scenario [ 4 Answers ]

Help me! I'm at my wits end here. I've scraped, painted, sanded, filled, grinded, scraped for years on my garage siding ( 8" wood) and nothing I do seems to last! It flakes, bubbles and checks all over. I've used oil based primer, as I've been told, and nothing seems to work. Before I take a match...

View more questions Search