Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Copperhead6 Posts: 132, Reputation: 51

Jul 18, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Smell kind of getting to me.
    Okay guys, I've been with this girl for the last few months and in the last week or so she has had a real strong smell down in her genital region. It's the fishy smell that we've all noticed at one point or another with women, but for some reason I can now smell it right before we have sex or even if she has on short shorts with no panties on. It is not a pleasant odor and pretty strong. I was just wondering if you guys thought I should be concerned, and, or inform her of it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Does she bathe?
    It could be an infection.

Jul 18, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Yea she bathes once or twice a day. I've smelled it with women before but never quiet this strong. Is it common for women to smell like this and do u think she is aware of it?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 09:21 AM
    If she is not aware of it, she should be. That strong fishy odor is usually the sign of an infection and needs to be taken care of ASAP.
    Dennis777 Posts: 478, Reputation: 124

Jul 18, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Hello.

Maybe you should ask her in a nice way and not during or right after sex. If she has had any itching problems because you noticed a little discharge down below but didn't know how to tell her and you just wanted her to know it so she could fix it before it got worse. Its normally a yeast infection and that can be take care of easy in most cases. Make sure she knows your telling her because you care not because it smells, in fact you don't have to say a word about the smell so she feels like the world knows she smells.

Good Luck
    Dennis777
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Jul 18, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Excessive bacteria can cause this to happen (although it is only one of many possibilities). She probably does notice the smell, if you can smell it, why wouldn't she be able to. She is probably wondering the same thing-"I wonder if HE can smell it".

Do you know if she douches? It's not for everyone and her best bet at this point would be to go to the doctor. The doctor can prescribe something for her to get rid of that smell.

If it is bacteria-Here are some things to help prevent the foul odor from returning:

Wear looser clothing (stay away from thongs every single day, wear looser fitting undies, not so-tight jeans;shorts,etc... )
    After sex, she should wipe herself from front to back
    After using the bathroom she should wipe herself from front to back
    After sex, if possible (this was told to me from my dr.) she should try to urinate as it releases some of the bacteria that may have been pushed up further inside of her during intercourse.
    It's always good to use some kind of feminine wash while showering. They even make those products for people who are more "sensitive" down there.

I'm sure there is more but that is all I know.
    I'm not a doctor, or a nurse, not practicing to be any of those two either. I am only speaking from past personal experience.
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 10:05 AM
    This is most likely what it is.

Bacterial vaginosis, also called BV is the most common vaginal infection in women of childbearing age. It happens when the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina is disrupted and replaced by an overgrowth of certain bacteria. The vagina normally contains mostly “good” bacteria, and fewer “harmful” bacteria. BV develops when there is an increase in “harmful” bacteria and fewer “good” bacteria.

What causes BV?

The cause of BV is not understood. It can develop when something, like sexual contact, disrupts the balance between the good bacteria that protect the vagina from infection and the harmful bacteria that don't. It is not clear what role sexual activity plays in the development of BV, but BV is more common among women who have had vaginal sex. But BV is not always from sexual contact. We do know that certain things can upset the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina and put you more at risk for BV:

* Having a new sex partner or multiple sex partners
    * Douching
    * Using an intrauterine device (IUD) for birth control
    * Not using a condom

We also know that you do not get BV from toilet seats, bedding, swimming pools, or from touching objects around you.

What are the signs of BV?

Women with BV may have an abnormal vaginal discharge with an unpleasant odor. Some women report a strong fish-like odor, especially after sexual intercourse. The discharge can be white (milky) or gray and thin. Other symptoms may include burning when urinating, itching around the outside of the vagina, and irritation. However, these could be symptoms of another infection too. Some women with BV have no symptoms at all.

How can I find out if I have BV?

There is a test to find out if you have BV. Your doctor takes a sample of fluid from your vagina and has it tested. Your doctor may also be able to see signs of BV, like a grayish-white discharge, during an examination of the vagina.

How is BV treated?

BV is treated with antibiotics, which are medicines prescribed by your doctor. Your doctor may give you either metronidazole or clindamycin. Generally, male sex partners of women with BV do not need to be treated. You can get BV again even after being treated.
    AliMarGoo Posts: 72, Reputation: 13

Jul 18, 2007, 10:14 AM
    The fishy smell is usually the clear sign of Bacterial Vaginosis. Yeast infections do not cause this type of distinct smell. There are good bacteria and bad bacteria inside of the vagina, and bacterial vaginosis is when the bad bacteria kind of take over. Dr.'s will tell you that it can clear up on it's own, but if it remains a problem for more than a week then she should go to a doctor and be put on antibiotics for it. Tell her to be careful in turn because a lot of antibiotics in turn can cause yeast infections! It's a viscious cycle! Good luck.

Jul 18, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Well we've figured out the problem, now the hard part is figuring out a way to let her know. Lol I already had to tell her she had chronic bad breath a few weeks ago. Which was hard as crap but since she was so good looking and had such a great personality I bit the bullet and told her... now this! Lol
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 11:34 AM
    "Honey, you know I care for you very much, and I don't want to hurt your feelings. But recently I have noticed an oder after sex and I am concerned. I have heard about BV before and it seems as though you have the symptoms. It is important we get you to the doctor to get this checked out. It can be serious if not taken care of."
    AliMarGoo Posts: 72, Reputation: 13

Jul 18, 2007, 02:14 PM
    To J_9... I don't recall the answer above saying anything about a yeast infection, so I was trying to tie in about the BV, taking antibiotics for it, and antibiotics causing a yeast infection... kind of like a heads up. Wasn't trying to re[peat anything. Thanks
    Expert

Jul 18, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Gotcha. But typically a yeast infection is not so strong for others to smell it. This is most likely BV.

Jul 19, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Okay, I told her last night. I was a little tipsy and we were having a good talk so I figured I would work that in the conversation. She was a little embarrassed but she took it like a champ. Lol
    Expert

Jul 19, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Good job!!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 10:11 AM
    j9 do you think it is possible to smell fishy after eating seafood. Or is it connected with another problem?
    Expert

Jul 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Typically that strong of an odor indicates something else such as BV. If the odor is strong enough for someone else to detect it wouldn't be quite that simple.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    "Honey, you know I care for you very much, and I don't want to hurt your feelings. But recently I have noticed an oder after sex and I am concerned. I have heard about BV before and it seems as though you have the symptoms. It is important we get you to the doctor to get this checked out. It can be serious if not taken care of."
    Got to agree... she may not even be aware that its not a normal odor... its not like most women know what other vagina's smell like.
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Jul 23, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Yeast.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by statictable
    Yeast.
    A normal vagina doesn't smell like yeast, that is only if you have a yeast infection. Sorry, I'm not too sure where you were going with a one word response. :)
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Mmm sometimes the odour (as you describe-it is before sexual intercourse, during lubrication) may actually be quite normal, rather than an infection. We all have different pheromones, chemistry and therefore different odours associated with our bodily fluids.

I'd be very tactful, about this. If she has no itching or redness etc. I'd suspect she is just different to other women you may have been with.

Cheers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had a dream that was kind of weird. [ 2 Answers ]

I had 2 dreams that I was kissing my best friend. But my best friend is not a girl. It's a boy, his name is jerimy and he was my friends boyfriend but he has always been my best friend. Any-way I had a dream that we were kissing. I don't know what it means, I know that even though he is not my...

Kind of Personal [ 8 Answers ]

I was recently married to a wonderful man but I WEIGH 270 pounds... we are both young and i can't help but think my husband would like to have a very intimate night with me but they don't make any ''sexy'' outfits for women my size. At least i can't find anywhere where they do. I want to spice up...

Kind of a bad idea? [ 6 Answers ]

Aiight I had a post on here a while ago about this one girl and I thought she liked me so I told her I liked her more than a friend and I guess I was wrong in my prediction(she didn't like me as more than friend) haha.. I kind of still liked her but she was being an about it saying that I...

I'm kind of new [ 5 Answers ]

If someone could just tell me how to make it so I can use html that would be great. -Cimorene(a.k.a Lily)

View more questions Search