Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hubzoneadmin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2005, 02:10 PM
    IBM 390X CD-ROM Booting Problem
    I just got an IBM 390X at a computer show. I have no docs and Windows is not my really my specialty. Neither are laptops.
    So, here's my problem.
    I replaced the hard drive because I needed more disk, and now I need to reinstall Windows. I can't seem to boot from the DVD drive to start the install.
    I've tried the following things:

>I created a DOS boot floppy and booted from that, but I can't change to the DVD drive to start the setup. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that I don't have the driver for the DVD when I boot from the floppy.

>I upgraded the BIOS to the latest available from IBM's website hoping that the newer BIOS would have support for the DVD drive.

I'm out of ideas.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2005, 05:11 AM
    I would imagine the generic driver Windows uses should pick up the DVD drive. What version of Windows are you using out of curiousity? Im not 100% sure but maybe DVD drives don't work with Win98 (should do with 98SE though I believe)

First thing I would check is your boot order in your BIOS. Change it so that your DVD drive comes first, floppy drive is secnond, then your hard drive. If you can't find your DVD in the list when trying to change the boot order then the drive might not be connected correctly. Anyway, once the order is changed - reset the machine with the CD in the drive and see if you get a message saying "Press any key to boot from CD" or similar
    Rcky Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2005, 05:12 PM
    Canīt boot from cdrom in thinkpad 390X
    Has anyone solve this problem?
    I bought a Thinlpad 390X too and I am trying to install Linux on it but even I have setup boot order in bios, it didnīt work.
    What else can I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2005, 06:10 AM
    You need to have the CD or DVD drive drivers on your boot floppy. When you boot from a floppy it does not load a lot of the Windows drivers, so they need to be on the floppy AND loaded in either the Autoexec.bat or config.sys.

Dec 6, 2005, 06:23 AM
    So, it is impossible to boot directly from CD even there is an option in BIOS?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2005, 06:17 AM
    The BIOS has to support booting from CD. Also the CD has to be configured to be bootable.

Dec 7, 2005, 06:58 AM
    Thatīs funny: BIOS has option to set boot from CDROM and I am sure the CD is bootable (I have tested it at another machine). But at boot time, the CDROM unit does not show any activity. So I use the floppy solution and it works. Now my problem is that the Linux installation hangs just after the beginning.
    Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thinkpad 390x display problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have just bought a thinkpad 390x old and cheap I know but I'm a student whenever there is a lot going on on the screen it gets all garbled, when I turn down the amount of colours from the display settings it helps but the problem does not go away I have tried to download drivers from the ibm...

Booting from Hard Drive problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've never encountered this problem before. I have an external hard drive connected to my desktop computer. Every time it restarts it refuses to do so unless the external hard drive is off. It says that it is, "unable to boot from drive." Is there any other way I can turn this desire of...

Dual booting problem [ 2 Answers ]

I Had Dual Booting With Windows98se (c Drive) & Windows Xp (d Drive) . I Removed Xp By Formatting D Drive. How Do I Remove The Shortcut At Booting Initially

Ibm 390X 2626-LNU Boot problem [ 11 Answers ]

I just bought a very nice used IBM 390X 2626LNU. The machine is perfect except for a boot problem. When you shut the computer down it will not restart until you remove all power to the laptop and then return power. It's as if some little part of the laptop refuses to shut down finishing the cylcle....

I need help with opening a 390x ibm thinkpad laptop [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: If anyone has a manual that has the instructions on how to open or as they call it I think disassemble a IBM thinkpad 390x 2626 I would appreciate a copy of just this section please... I have taken the screws out of the back and popped the top but it will not go past halfway it appears...

View more questions Search