Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gabriel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2005, 12:45 PM
    Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit
    I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on such a long run. So I purchased the wire and have run it already. Now I have a few questions about the type of breaker and outlets/switches I can and should use.

1. :confused: If I have a 20amp breaker in the panel (not currently used), can I use it and put 15amp outlets and a light switch on that circuit or maybe just change everything to 15amp?

2. :confused: Since it's outside, I will be using GFCI outlets, should I use 15amp or 20amp GFCI outlets?

3. :confused: Does it matter if I have just one or if I use all GFI outlets?

Thanks in advance!!
    Gabriel
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2005, 05:46 PM
    1.With the #10 cable, using the 20 amp breaker is fine, along with 15 amp devices.

2.You may use either 15 or 20 amp GFI devices. Best to use the 20 amp to allow you to use the 20 aamp capacity if you come along with a true 20 appliance. You will notice the 20 amp recptacle has one port that resembles a "T". A true 20 amp appliance will have one blade perpendicular to the other blade.

3. One GFI will cover the circuit. Using more than one GFI will give you the ability to have a reset button at each receptacle location to save from walking back to .

Remember to use the new "In Use" weatherproof covers. These are best to use to allow a plug left in the outlets for extended periods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing 15amp outlet to 30 - will it work? [ 4 Answers ]

Our gas dryer just went out and we have an electric one in the shed. When we brought it in to plug it up the plug was not the same kind as the outlet. (The gas dryer was plugged into a standard outlet with the washer.) The electric dryer's cord has an L shaped prong but the outlet has what looks...

Switching from 15AMP breaker to 20AMP [ 6 Answers ]

I am contemplating switching my 15AMP breaker into a 20AMP breaker because the lights flicker in my home office because my computer and printer eat up a lot of power. If I switch breakers, will this help my power problem? Or I am limited to the gauge of the wires in the wall? Thanks for the...

Circuit/Reventing [ 15 Answers ]

I am adding a second bathroom group to my one story home. This group has a separate drain line that exits the home and ties into the main sewer drain line out in the middle of the yard before it goes into the city sewer. My question is can I revent this group back to the main stack instead of...

15amp or 20amp? [ 2 Answers ]

Does the 2005 NEC allow bedroom and living room outlets to be on a 15amp circuit? I am familiar with the 80% rule. Thanks in advance. Tom

Gfi circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if when wiring for 2 gfis for different circuits, do I need separate neutrals for each or just a common one

View more questions Search