Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grace46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 07:51 PM
    What age may a child chose living arrangements
    My daughter is 15 years old and has lived with her father since our divorce-he is extremely manipulative, has serious anger management issues and abusive tendencies. We live in Massachusetts, and the reasons he received custody initially are complex and essentially moot now.

I have always been a very active, above and beyond "noncustodial parent." She finally moved in with me 6 months ago, during which time I continued to pay her father child support. When I brought up the subject of child support last night he went on a rage and told me that if she was not back at his house asap he would call the police on me.

I preempted him and called the police myself-they know the situaion very well as they have been called to his house on several occasions by neighbors because of screaming fights with my daughter.

She was so happy here-her grades went up in school and she thrived living in a calmer, more stable environment. And her father had no issue with her living here until I brought up the subject of money. She is, however, "court scared," and afraid to be put in the middle of this nightmare. I don't blame her.

I cannot afford a lawyer but am looking for suggestions about how to proceed from here.

Thanks.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 09:02 PM
    The child does not have right to choose who has to be the custodial parent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Living Arrangements. [ 4 Answers ]

Oh yes, ANOTHER post by me...lol, I feel like I have too many questions sometimes... Anyway...this time it's about living arrangements. I've been living with my future in-laws since about the beginning of February...so almost three months now. The reason? Well, because this area is where my...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child's age for place of living decision [ 1 Answers ]

At what age can a child decide at which relative's house he wants to live at, provided the home at which he wants to live is socially acceptable?

Child age [ 1 Answers ]

Child was taken from mother how old does this child have to be to say he wants to come home

View more questions Search