Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 07:04 PM
    German sheperd that won't eat much
    From an email. I support the site policy of not asking or answering questions by email or PM.
    > Hi we have a 4 yo male German Shep dog who is really thin. He recently
    > got bit by a rattlesnake and thank god is o.k. now.. but he lost more
    > weight. He was 80 Lbs BUT he is a real big boy. Now he weighs only
    > 75... his little sister weighs 82 and she is much shorter and more solid than
    > him. He looks like a refugee...
    > We have tried nutrabones, hamburger, cottage cheese, expensive canned
    > dog food, he won't eat enough and LOVES to chase deer that keeps him even
    > thinner from all the running!! He worries me that he may become so
    > thin his hips and immune system may become damaged.
    > DO you have any ideas? I would appreciate any info.
    > Thanks Chefcher

This is a common problem with Shepherds. The usual he just won't eat all he is given? What does the vet say? He needs a good work up starting with checking a stool sample for worms. All the above could do more harm than good by not providing a complete and balanced diet. Once the vet clears him, a better solution would be a dry small breed puppy chow. They still meet AAFCO minimums for everything and no other dog chow is as calorie rich. I would stick to the same brand and protein source as what you have been feeding if it is available. The fewer different proteins a dog eats when young, the easier it is to work around it if it ever develops food allergies.

You might look over the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparents were German Jews - Can I get a German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I know a few years ago there was a program that allowed children and grandchildren of Holocaust-era German Jews to apply and receive German passports. I cannot find any information about this on the internet, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My father's parents both...

German [ 5 Answers ]

How Do I Say : Hi, How Are You? In German

German Shepherd puppy will not eat [ 1 Answers ]

I just got Akeira Friday evening and she ate a little about 2 hours after we got her home. She got sick about 2 hours later and I can not get her to eat anything. She has drank some water off and on. I don't know what else to do. My vet will not be in her office until Wednesday. Any suggestions...

Ailing german sheperd [ 1 Answers ]

My friend's german shepherd (six yrs. Old now) is having trouble with his hind right leg. We want to get him a ramp to get in and out of the truck. He has a chevy avalanche anyone know a good pet ramp - the ramps I have looked at seem like they have a very steep incline for the dog to get in and...

Help my german sheppard won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is about 6 mons old, and a few weeks ago he stopped eating. He won't eat any of the food that we give to him. He started about a month ago getting into the garbage and tearing it all over the house. Now we keep the garbage up and he just won't eat his food. We have caught him on our...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search