Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vivi1220 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Rent Security Deposit
    Hi I'm in Los Angeles California, I lived in my previous apt for 3 years and just received my security deposit. The landlord charged about $500 of it for repairs which I think is crazy. My apartment was left in good condition. She charged me for carpet cleaning, paint, vinyl in kitchen... etc. Isn't this normal wear and tear? My deposit was $1100 and Im getting $585 of it. Can she do this and how do I fight this?

Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 05:44 AM
    Hello Viv:

I don't know if she can DO it, but she DID it. If it was wear and tear, let a judge decide. Sue her in small claims court. It's cheap, quick and easy.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Did you do a walk through when you vacated? Did you take pictures of the apartment? Did the landlord include itemized bills with the deposit return?

You can fight it, but I doubt if you will win. The LL is going to come into court with statements from the carpet cleaner, the painter and the vinyl installer. These statements will be that the carpet was badly soiled, the walls were stained or had holes that needed to be patched and the vinyl was torn in spots. Or something similar to justify the cost of the repairs. Unless you have pictures or a walk through checklist to refute these statements, you will lose.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:34 PM
    You can take her to small claims court. Once there she'll have to produce evidence that she had to put out the $515 to repair damage caused by you. Normal "wear and tear" doesn't count. She can certainly always opt to repair that but that's own her own nickel.
    nuspagirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi1220
    Hi im in Los Angeles California, I lived in my previous apt for 3 years and and just received my security deposit. The landlord charged about $500 of it for repairs which i think is crazy. My apartment was left in good condition. She charged me for carpet cleaning, paint, vinyl in kitchen...etc. Isn't this normal wear and tear? My deposit was $1100 and Im getting $585 of it. Can she do this and how do i fight this?

Thanks
    I know the answer in Florida, however I recommend that you contact the Calif agency that licenses real estate agents and inquire as to whether it has a landlord/tenant act that protects both landlords and tenants. In Florida this act spells out the issue you are having, I can only imagine that Calif would have the same type of legislation as these are the 2 states with the most abuses in this area. The agency should be a state agency. If you can't find it on your own, call a local real estate office and ask them for the number for the agency that legislates landlord/tenant policies in the state. They should be happy to help direct you as you could one day become a client of theirs looking to purchase or rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent and Security Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm hoping you can give me good advice. I found a place to rent. I gave the tenant (whom is not on the lease) $600 for rent for the month of June. I was in the process of moving in. I also gave the tenant $600 for a security deposit. The tenant and I had a dispute and now he wants me...

Rent and deposit in Ohio [ 6 Answers ]

I just moved to Ohio I got a job and I found an apartment to but I need help with my deposit and first months rent (I got it after that) how can I get help?:confused:

Rent and deposit refund [ 6 Answers ]

Answered ad in paper for house for rent, talked with landlord later that evening after seeing the house. Met with the landlord and gave her the rent and deposit, being $770.00 cash. Landlord was going out of town the next day so we gave her the money so we could clean and move in small non needed...

Security Deposit & Pre-Paid Rent [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone: I am new to this site & need some advice & thought this would be a great avenue. Here is my dilemma: I had been renting a condo in PA (I live in TX) for almost a year. Since I have not been able to use the unit since March, I was looking to sub-let it. I informed the owner,...

One of Co-Tenants refusing to pay rent and security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

In my house in New Brunswick, NJ, one of my co-tenants is making an extremely unfair demand that would cause 8 of us to suffer unfairly because of that one person. The co-tenant says that if we don't agree to the demand, then she won't pay her security deposit and rent. Do we have to worry...

View more questions Search