Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 09:31 AM
    [Making] Race an issue in Bonds Poll
    Race an issue in Bonds Poll was the headline in my paper... but I think mine is more accurate.

Only 3rd of whites rooting for Bonds, poll says
    Survey illustrates racial dividing line about Giant's pursuit of Aaron's record

When it comes to rooting for Barry Bonds to become the home run champion, one factor stands out: race.

An AP-Ipsos poll released Monday showed 55 percent of minority baseball fans want Bonds to set the record, while only 34 percent of non-Hispanic white baseball fans hope he passes Hank Aaron’s record.

The results mark a significant jump among minorities. Last October, just 34 percent in an AP-AOL poll were rooting for Bonds to make history.

Bonds went into Monday night’s game against the Chicago Cubs with 751 home runs, four behind Aaron.

A seven-time NL MVP, Bonds has been shadowed by steroid suspicions for several years. The San Francisco star has steadfastly denied knowingly using performance-enhancing drugs.

“When you look at the whole era of steroid use, why pick on one man?” John Primus, a black fan from Raleigh, N.C. asked at Wrigley Field. “Clean up that whole era. If he was 300 home runs down, nobody would say a word. It’s just because he’s so close.”

Brian Morse, a white fan from Peoria, Ill. was rooting against Bonds.

“He’s surly, and I’ve read a few books on him. It’s bad enough on the field, but the way he’s treated family members is disgraceful,” he said before the Giants-Cubs game. “I think these guys, especially the popular ones, are kind of heroes to kids, and Barry is just a bad example all around.”
    For the record, I have no problem with Bonds breaking the record - but I also think Pete Rose (as crazy as he is now) should be in the hall of fame. If Bonds or any other player used steroids and MLB didn't crack down on him then shame on them for their pathetic steroid policy. And, steroids or not you still have to hit the ball. But anyway - back to the topic.

Why does the racial makeup of the respondents in this poll matter?

What is it about the left and their cohorts in the media - the most vocal proponents of ending racism - that makes them inject race into every situation?

Does it help end racism to insinuate that whites are racist at every opportunity, or does it exacerbate the problem?

Lastly, which group appears more racially motivated, the 1/3 of whites that support him breaking the record, or the 55 percent of minorities - up from 34 percent in October - that support him?
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Race an issue in Bonds Poll was the headline in my paper ... but I think mine is more accurate.

For the record, I have no problem with Bonds breaking the record - but I also think Pete Rose (as crazy as he is now) should be in the hall of fame. If Bonds or any other player used steroids and MLB didn't crack down on him then shame on them for their pathetic steroid policy. And, steroids or not you still have to hit the ball. But anyway - back to the topic.

What is it about the left and their cohorts in the media - the most vocal proponents of ending racism - that makes them inject race into every situation?

Does it help end racism to insinuate that whites are racist at every opportunity, or does it exacerbate the problem?

Lastly, which group appears more racially motivated, the 1/3 of whites that support him breaking the record, or the 55 percent of minorities - up from 34 percent in October - that support him?
    I think using race is a disgrace.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Don't know what others motives are for their opinion... mine is the record is tainted due to steroid use but so is Mark McGuire's single season record. Race is not the issue .

The issue with Bonds is that he has always been a surely caustic personality and not a very good ambassador for the game. It was his choice to not exploit his celebrity to the max.His agent should've knocked him in the head and argued that for marketing reasons alone he should (as they said in Jerry McGuire )do the dance He should not complain when the public is cool to his accomplishments . He made his choice a long time ago.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 09:56 AM
    I look forward to the day when someone like Ken Griffey Jr. or Alex Rodriguez surpasses the record Bonds will break.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 17, 2007, 09:58 AM
    I don't believe that this is an issue of race at all.

When Hank Aaron broke Ruth's record, there were lots of people against him hoping that he would fail. There were also those who were against Roger Maris for breaking Ruth's single-season HR record. There will always be hardcore fans of the current record holder who will be against anybody who tries to break that record, especially if that current record-holder is also a legend. That's not an issue of race. It's just human nature.

I have a feeling that the reason that most people who are against Bonds are against him is because of the steroid allegations. Whether MLB should have been stricter or not is really irrelevant. Too many people see that as "cheating" and therefore hope that this particular "cheater" doesn't prosper.

I'm not particularly a Bonds fan. But if the guy can break Aaron's record, more power to him. Records are made to be broken. And I have a feeling that nobody would celerate Bonds breaking Aaron's record more than Aaron. That record has lasted for 31 years. Aaron is a legend in his own right, and nothing Bonds does is going to change that, any more than Aaron breaking Ruth's record made Ruth any less of a legend.

So, I don't see this as an issue of race, and I don't know why it has to become a race issue. If people aren't for Bonds breaking the record, it's because they like Aaron over Bonds, not because they hate blacks.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    I look forward to the day when someone like Ken Griffey Jr. or Alex Rodriguez surpasses the record Bonds will break.
    Absolutely, I'll be glad when the Bonds thing is done so maybe we can talk about someone besides him. Of course, ol' A-Rod might want to be a little more discrete when out on the town :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 10:30 AM
    And I have a feeling that nobody would celerate Bonds breaking Aaron's record more than Aaron.
    It is reported that Aaron will not attend the game and that he is very hopefull that it doesn't happen in Milwaukee or Atlanta. I don't think he has given a reason for this but it doesn't seem to be anything against Bonds .

Aaron does not get the credit he deserves . Besides the homerun record he was as good a player as any who has played the game. (except Ruth who was also a hall of fame caliber pitcher )

ol' A-Rod might want to be a little more discrete when out on the town

And his wife should reconsider her fashion statements .

FOXNews.com - Yankees Star Alex Rodriguez' Wife Wears Obscene T-Shirt to Game - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    It is reported that Aaron will not attend the game and that he is very hopefull that it doesn't happen in Milwaukee or Atlanta. I don't think he has given a reason for this but it doesn't seem to be anything against Bonds .

Aaron does not get the credit he deserves . Besides the homerun record he was as good a player as any who has played the game. (except Ruth who was also a hall of fame caliber pitcher )
    I think Hank is just trying to stay out of it. I agree he should get more credit for his other baseball skills, but the only thing you hear about is 755 home runs.

and his wife should reconsider her fashion statements .
    I'd forgotten about that... I just still wonder if the message was intended for her husband.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Race an issue in Bonds Poll was the headline in my paper ... but I think mine is more accurate.

Yes, racism is alive and well, thanks to the Left. There are plenty of examples… Harry Belafonte' calling Colon Powell an Uncle Tom, the Aunt Jemima thing about Condi Rice. You baseball fans must remember, “Dusty the dangerous racist.”
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Dusty Baker's Racist Remarks

Or more recently Gary Sheffields off the wall comments about Joe Torre.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Yes, racism is alive and well, thanks to the Left. There are plenty of examples… Harry Belafonte' calling Colon Powell an Uncle Tom, the Aunt Jemima thing about Condi Rice. You baseball fans must remember, “Dusty the dangerous racist.”
    Fortunately, I'm a football fan :D
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 18, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Steroids don't know race. I spoke with one of Bonds' teammates recently and he said Bonds will break the record at home (not on the road). I'm personally neither a SF Giants fan nor do I care for Bonds smug attitude. I rooted for Aaron when he broke the record, but I will not facilitate any joy for Bonds.

Bobby
    lbarnett75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 04:44 PM

No it doesn't help to insinuate anyone's racist, unless he/she admits it. Bonds home run chase has what I believe is racist overtones. He is your not so friendly Athlete, even though whites like to get full access to their athletes. And this is what makes whites outcry seem kind of racist.

Blacks support for Bonds jump from 34% to 55% I believe was because of media coverage. You can tie racism to the jump from October to the present but remember there is a fine line between being racist and just saying a comment that is worded wrong. With out the media attention no one pays attention...

Aug 16, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Did you watch Barroid's heart wrenching speech after hitting the tainted HR record? He thanked everyone for the first time in a long time that I can remember. He thanked the organization, the fans of SF, his father, his god-father, wife, children, and G-d. Unfortunately he forgot to thank BALCO whom made the moment possible. He is known for his selfish prima donna act in the locker room and being a horse's pa-toot with the media. He will never be part of World Championship team nor does he deserve to be.

Polls! Schmolls! Race has nothing to do with what Bonds did or didn't do, for that matter. You could throw a bucket a white paint on Bonds and tar McGuire until he was as dark as midnight and they'd both be equally guilty. Perhaps Bonds would like it to be a racial issue, just like what Vick is perceived in Atlanta, but neither collected threats like Aaron did in his day. If the SF and ATL fans were part of a sports commission board they'd set back baseball and football beyond repair.

Bobby
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Did you watch Barroid's heart wrenching speech after hitting the tainted HR record?! He thanked everyone for the first time in a long time that I can remember. He thanked the organization, the fans of SF, his father, his god-father, wife, children, and G-d. Unfortunately he forgot to thank BALCO whom made the moment possible. He is known for his selfish prima donna act in the locker room and being a horse's pa-toot with the media. He will never be part of World Championship team nor does he deserve to be.

Polls! Schmolls! Race has nothing to do with what Bonds did or didn't do, for that matter. You could throw a bucket a white paint on Bonds and tar McGuire until he was as dark as midnight and they'd both be equally guilty. Perhaps Bonds would like it to be a racial issue, just like what Vick is perceived in Atlanta, but neither collected threats like Aaron did in his day. If the SF and ATL fans were part of a sports commission board they'd set back baseball and football beyond repair.
    Nope, saw the replays of the hit and that was about it. I just wonder why race has to be an issue in virtually everything when I thought we were supposed to be trying to eliminate racism.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 17, 2007, 08:39 PM
    I think that despite all the Rhetoric to the contrary, Anglos feel a twinge of nostalgia for the good ole days when all politicians, and prominent athletes were white and those that weren't were segregated so they could be viewed as of no real account. This feeling lies just below the surface and tends to surface at certain times when all seems normal and you least expect it. Actually, the illusion or normality itself might serve as a catalyst by creating an impending sense of racial defeat which necessitates a blowing off racial steam. Neither is this cultural phenomenon it restricted to sports but permeates all areas of life in the USA. Neither is it just an American Caucasian thing since American blacks are just as inclined to go through the same antics.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    I think that despite all the Rhetoric to the contrary, Anglos feel a twinge of nostalgia for the good ole days when all politicians, and prominent athletes were white and those that weren't were segregated so they could be viewed as of no real account. This feeling lies just below the surface and tends to surface at certain times when all seems normal and you least expect it. Actually, the illusion or normality itself might serve as a catalyst by creating an impending sense of racial defeat which necessitates a blowing off of racial steam. Neither is this cultural phenomenon it restricted to sports but permeates all areas of life in the USA. Neither is it just an American Caucasian thing since American blacks are just as inclined to go through the same antics.
    This Anglo doesn't care. Sure, my favorite sports idol is still Roger Staubach - but along came Drew Pearson, Julius Erving, Kareem Abdul Jabbar and that dancing king Emmitt Smith. Many a time I've yelled loud and proud for Nate Newton, Larry Allen, Too Tall Jones, Harvey Martin and now DeMarcus Ware, Julius Jones, Marion Barber and Terence Newman... whose photo adorns my office wall. Race is non-issue for me, and it might be for more if it wasn't needlessly injected into every situation.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 18, 2007, 07:30 PM
    This Anglo doesn't care. Sure, my favorite sports idol is still Roger Staubach - but along came Drew Pearson, Julius Erving, Kareem Abdul Jabbar and that dancing king Emmitt Smith. Many a time I've yelled loud and proud for Nate Newton, Larry Allen, Too Tall Jones, Harvey Martin and now DeMarcus Ware, Julius Jones, Marion Barber and Terence Newman...whose photo adorns my office wall. Race is non-issue for me, and it might be for more if it wasn't needlessly injected into every situation.

I should have numerically qualified my comment. Undoubtedly there are fine decent people in all groups who don't let race be the determining factor in judging treating others. But unfortunately the persistent racial tensions in the USA indicate that the numbers which do are significant. Not that progress hasn't been made. It has. But we still have a long way to go and ignoring the problem is not the solution. Instead the issue has to be addressed early on in school in order to counter the racial hatreds taught at home by parents who were similarly programmed to discriminate based on race. I'm sure that the issue is being addressed in some way. But judging by the persistence of the problem, more forceful approach is needed.

BTW

The first man to break Babe Ruth's record was repeatedly threatened not to do it. Also, after he did break the record, he attempted to live in an Anglo neighborhood and was harassed until he had to leave. Strange!

Aug 20, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    I should have numerically qualified my comment. Undoubtedly there are fine decent people in all groups who don't let race be the determining factor in judging treating others. But unfortunately the persistent racial tensions in the USA indicate that the numbers which do are significant. Not that progress hasn't been made. It has. But we still have a long way to go and ignoring the problem is not the solution. Instead the issue has to be addressed early on in school in order to counter the racial hatreds taught at home by parents who were similarly programmed to discriminate based on race. I'm sure that the issue is being addressed in some way. But judging by the persistence of the problem, more forceful approach is needed.

BTW

The first man to break Babe Ruth's record was repeatedly threatened not to do it. Also, after he did break the record, he attempted to live in an Anglo neighborhood and was harassed until he had to leave. Strange!

Besides the commissioner, even Aaron struggled to commend Bonds. That's why Aaron used a generic congratulatory video. Bonds biggest problem besides the non-explanations for his artificial physique, is his urine poor "me first" attitude from way back, his antics in the locker room, and his despise for the media most of his career. As for racial tensions I will suggest a very good movie, "Glory Road." It's not about baseball, actually it's about basketball. But the movie is in the era that Aaron would had truly understood. Bonds never, as mentioned previously in my other other post and by Starman's comparison, never saw such level of racial scrutiny.

Bobby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compute the price of bonds on their issue date [ 2 Answers ]

Can you help please? On Jan 1 a company issues bonds with a par value of $300,000. The bonds mature in 5 years and pay 8% annual interest each June 30 and Dec 31. On the issue date, the market rate of interest is 6%. Compute the price of the bonds on the issue date. The following information is...

K-Test Poll [ 11 Answers ]

K-Test Poll Has the K-Test helped you identify a bad Engine Control Module (ECM) in your Honda Civic or Accord, which caused you to replace it and get your car running again? If it has, I'd like to chronicle that fact here.

Journal entires for bonds and computing interest on bonds [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a difficult time understanding bonds. Here is a question that stumps me: Record the sale of $4 million of 10 year, 6% corporate bonds priced at 104 plus two months accrued interest. If interest payments are semiannual, and the interest expense account was debited for $53,600 when...

I'm taking a poll [ 8 Answers ]

I've already asked the questions I needed answered about my ex and her child raising methods. Now I just actually want to get a count from as many people as possible. I just want everybody to answer with a simple yes or no to these three Questions. Question#1- Is it acceptable for a 4 year old...

View more questions Search