Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheizsored Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 09:11 AM
    CAnt afford a divorce
    Is there anything that can be done about the costly court fees??
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 17, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Call the legal services in your town. They may be able to help, and if not, see if you can get a pro-bono attorney.

XenoSapien
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jul 17, 2007, 01:15 PM
    I don't think any attorneys will do divorces pro bono as it's not an issue of competent defense for a crime, or human rights violation etc. Quite frankly, divorce is elective, a luxury even, and as such you will have to pay.

If there are no children involved, you can probably just by the forms online and do it yourself if both parties are willing to agree to terms. You will still pay court costs, which are not going to be reduced or waived.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 17, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyB
    I don't think any attorneys will do divorces pro bono as it's not an issue of competent defense for a crime, or human rights violation etc. Quite frankly, divorce is elective, a luxury even, and as such you will have to pay.

If there are no children involved, you can probably just by the forms online and do it yourself if both parties are willing to agree to terms. You will still pay court costs, which are not going to be reduced or waived.
    She couldn't get legal services for that? I'm soon to be talking to them for a friend of mine.

XenoSapien
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Jul 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
    I am in the UK and am just applying for my absoloute. I didn't pay any legal fees involved, under what used to be legal aid, no idea what they call it now! Its basically for people on low incomes. If your partner wants to divorce you could ask them to pay the fees, yeah I know they will probably tell you no, but it can't hurt to ask. In the terms of my divorce, if my husband contested any of the terms of our divorce he would have had to pay all of his and my legal and court fees, do you have any system, if you are on a low income, where he can be made to pay the fees?
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jul 18, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoSapien
    She couldn't get legal services for that? I'm soon to be talking to them for a friend of mine.

XenoSapien

Possibly, but I highly doubt a divorce would be prioritized above other types of cases. My brother and his ex simply were separated but not divorced while making payments to the attorney. They could be separated while saving up, or borrow from friends/family.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which party afford wedding ceremony? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know whether men's family devote money or women' does.

I can't afford it,what can I do. [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I was engaged but the guy left me cold and dry .I am now stuck with a house payment that I can not afford ,I can only afford half of it and the rest goes to my bills.I have lived in this house for about 5 months now and April was the first month that it has not been paid yet.I don't want...

If my wife can't afford a lawyer? [ 9 Answers ]

If my wife can't afford a lawyer in a custody battle what happens then? Will that increase my chances of getting my child?

Can't afford truck payments [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a truck several years ago that I really cannot afford. I have tried to sell it every way I know how (local papers, eBay, on-line, car ads, etc.) to no avail. I've went to numerous car dealerships, both used & new, and they all want to buy the truck (for less than I owe on it) with the...

Afford divorce [ 1 Answers ]

What if she cannot afford a lawyer? Can she get one through a legal aid society?

View more questions Search