Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pnbalaji Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Connecting DVD player and VCR with one composite jack
    Hi,

I have a old Samsung TV with two composite AV jacks, out of which, the front jacks are not working. The rear jacks are working fine and I have connected it to my DVD player. I want to connect my VCR also to my TV. The TV has an Audio-out in the rear, but I am not sure if it is working or not.

Is there any way I can hookup the DVD player and VCR with this one RCA jack?

Thanks,
    Balaji.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 18, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Your vcr will have a/v input jacks. Connect the DVD to the vcr A/V input jacks, then the VCR A/V outputs to your TV.

To watch a DVD, you need to turn on the VCR also.

Jul 18, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC888
    Your vcr will have a/v input jacks. Connect the DVD to the vcr A/V input jacks, then the VCR A/V outputs to your TV.

To watch a DVD, you need to turn on the VCR also.
    Hi,

Thanks for your response. After connecting, how do I select the device? i.e. to select the VCR or DVD or TV. The remote has an input button, which toggles between TV and DVD player right now.

Thanks,
    Balaji.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 12:14 PM
    He was saying that if your VCR has component in (which most do) connect the DVD to the VCR, to watch a dvd you'd have to go to input on your TV turn on the VCR and select input on the VCR also, your dvd should then be on the TV screen.

You would lose video quality conpared to a propern A/V selector but it should work.

Another option is to run your cable/satelite signal into the vcr (cable in) and then run a co-ax cable from the cable out of the vcr into the TV, then conenct the dvd normally with component cables.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2007, 06:09 AM
    I believe above poster meant " Most VCRs have Composite(yellow RCA), Component, has
    Red, Blue , and Green RCA's. I'm sure was thinking Composite, but writing Component.
    When selecting Video, Are you able to toggle through Video 1, Video 2, TV?
    Are you using TV remote, or Universal to select Video?

Jul 19, 2007, 06:28 AM
    I didn't get a chance to try this. I am using a philips universal remote.

However your question is exactly the same that I asked. I should be able to toggle through video1, video2 and TV where one video1 corresponds to DVD player and video2 corresponds to VCR(may be the other way around also). I will try this setup and post my results.

Thanks,
    Balaji.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2007, 06:49 AM
    See if A/V selector under door in front of TV.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 19, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pnbalaji
    Hi,

Thanks for your response. After connecting, how do I select the device? i.e., to select the VCR or DVD or TV. The remote has an input button, which toggles between TV and DVD player right now.

Thanks,
    Balaji.

Guys, lets not confuse the issue. There is no component video inputs, no s-video inputs, only composite RCA (yellow) and left/right audio (White/Red RCAs).

He only has two yellow RCAs on his TV, one which is not functioning.

So he is left with connecting the DVD using red, white and yellow rcas to the VCR input. Then the VCR output connects to the TV using red, white and yellow rcas.

On the TV, select the auxiliary input (or whatever the input is called)

On the VCR, press the input selector button to view DVD or VCR.

Simple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting a DVD player with Satellite Dish [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 52 inch Toshiba HDTV that is already connected to a DISH network satellite. I would like to connect a DVD player and have no idea how to connect. I may also need help with figuring out which remote I use. Currently I have to use the TV remote that just turns on the TV and the DISH remote...

VCR/DVD Combo, DVD Recorder hookup to Satellite TV [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hookup a VCR/DVD combo and a DVD Recorder to my TV. I have satellite TV, but the satellite receiver is not connected to the same TV. I have read and reread all four books and can not figure it out. I want to be able to record from the television to both the VCR and the DVD...

Hook up od VCR and DVD player to Starchoice satellite [ 1 Answers ]

I have gotten Starchoice and I have a dvd and vcr player. They installed Sterchoice but not my vcr and dvd. I only have 1 place in the back of my TV, vcr, and dvd player to put rca cbbles but I don't know how to put them.

Connecting cable TV, dvd and vcr [ 1 Answers ]

I have cable TV coming into the house. Want to hook up a DVD player and a VCR to the TV with cable, howis this done.

View more questions Search