Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ehracouztics_13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2007, 03:58 AM
    Species of methanogen
    What are the species of methanogens that thrive in the human gastro intestinal tract?:confused:
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 04:02 AM
    Erm, Why did you put this in archaeology? Getting it moved to biology...
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 04:05 AM
    This paper seems to describe exactly what you're looking for in the abstract:
    SpringerLink - Journal Article

It states in the abstract that Methanobrevibacter smithii is the predominant methanobacteria in the feces samples that they analysed (on a Mediterranean diet). A quick Google search of this species brings up a few more sources that state the same thing.

Here's a picture of the little guys: Methanogens Photo Gallery - Methanobrevibacter Smithii. Now you know where farts come from!

The paper is $32, so you're probably better off trying to get ahold of it through your library if you want more information. They might have to order it in. Ask for the journal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scientific names of Species [ 3 Answers ]

What are some examples of these two types of Archaebacteria Methanogers Thermoacidophile

When talking about different species of trout, do we say trout or trouts? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello good folks, Some instinct tells me that some nouns, whose plural is the same as singular, sometimes do take an s when we are talking about different kinds of that thing. I'ts hard for me to explain, so here are some examples. We would say - There is one brown trout in the bucket....

Species you consider should be extinct. [ 47 Answers ]

If you had to exterminate three types of animals -which ones would they be? None is not an answer so please! Humans are not part of the choice. What criteria would you use? Me? I'd get rid of parasitic worms, snakes and rats. BTW I was tempted to say the chimp based on its nasty...

View more questions Search