Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Why ain't it?
    If all sorts of contractions are acceptable including won't for will not, why isn't ain't acceptable for am not? Why the discrimination against ain't?
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 05:09 PM
    I ain't got a clue labman :).

Not sure, but it was always a no no. Good question. I think officially "Won't" is the acceptable contraction for will not. Not sure there is one for am not?

I think most times we would use is not/isn't for the instances where "ain't would be tempting to use. Not sure.

Good question though.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 16, 2007, 05:14 PM
    I live in the Deep South and I ain't heard any problem here with ain't. Because there ain't no problem with ain't, near's I kin tell. Why should there be?

I once read that the English language was determined to be the most difficult language in the world to learn conversation, let alone master. Too many coloqulisms, dialects, jargon, etc. And there are quite a few pronunciation inconsistancies, too.

Ain't is one of those that can be used different ways : "I ain't going" for "I'm not going," and "It ain't workin'" for "It isn't working" just for a couple of examples.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Amn't?
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Interesting labman. Never saw it used, but sure why not :)
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 16, 2007, 05:35 PM
    ... naught sher about that un...
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 11:20 PM
    Since "am not" is used only with the first person, I, then the correct contraction is I'm not, rather than I ain't.

You ain't --> you're not or you aren't
    He ain't --> he's not or he isn't
    etc. etc.

"ain't" is a very harsh sound, and is probably why it is frowned upon. Plus it's a little ambiguous, where there are unambiguous alternatives.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 05:04 AM
    I ain't too sure 'bout that. I don't think "ain't" is supposed to be a contraction only for "am not." I've heard it used and used it myself in many ways. But, I am selective as to the environment where I use "ain't"... because it's use has been, in my opinion wrongly, classified as basilectal, sullied and generally used by lesser educate peoples. Does anyone have a grip on the origin? Remember the infamous quote from Lewis Carroll? “If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.”
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 05:09 AM
    Ain't: From the earlier form an't, a contraction of “are not” and “am not”. Historically, it was present in many dialects of the English language, but not that of southeast England, which became the standard.

It's slang nowadays.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Whyn't? I'mn't?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search