Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjr Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2005, 09:29 AM
    Sub-contractor liability
    I am a resident of Michigan,and am a sub-contractor for a limo company.
    I am curious about a situation that happened to two other employees one was hit by a stolen car and was charged by our boss the deductible for the damage.the other guy hit a barrier and is being charged for all the repairs to the limo.both of these instances strike me as against the law.if anyone out there has an idea or where to go ask please respond
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jul 17, 2005, 09:23 AM
    I would cal the state labor board and have a talk to them. They will be able to tell you more.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2005, 10:06 AM
    Hi tjr:

It really all depends on the wording of the "Contract" that the subcontractor is bound by. Get a copy.

However, having some experience in that industry, I suspect that you have no written contract. If so, then both drivers have a case against the owner. Small Claims Court would work, it's cheap to file a case there, and you don't need a lawyer. The problem is, you won't get hired by any other limo contractor in your city after that.

excon
    shenda Posts: 160, Reputation: 21

Aug 30, 2005, 10:43 AM
    Who is to blame?
    The best place to go, as stated already... read the contract; however, it is important to understand the clear cut lines established between contractor and sub-contractor... in most of your standard agreements, the issue of blame is established by evidence proving the "How & Why" for the Damage/Loss... Was it the Contractor's negligance that caused the damage/loss according to the terms of the implied and/or written contract. In most standard cases, the subcontractor assumes responsibility for property damage not covered by insurance because the damage/loss occur while in the subcontractor's care; however, if it is established that the damage/loss occurred due to the contractor's negligance, then you will have a case against the contractor; otherwise, the person who was hit by the stolen car needs to seek the owner of the stolen vehicle to establish if they had protection coverage in cases of thief, if not, the actual driver must be sought, which can be distressing, but not impossible. As far as the one who hit the barrier, why? What was the circumstances, was it an issue with the limo itself, (poor maintenance, who is responsible for the up-keep of the limo); or was it truly an accident on the driver's part, as a subcontractor, in most standard cases, he will have to assume responsibility. You may also consult an industry contract lawyer in your area;

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sole proprietary liability [ 1 Answers ]

I have situation that may require legal assistance. I'm not sure so that is why I am asking here. I'm also not sure if this is the correct place for this question so mods, feel free to move it to a more appropriate location, if need be. Last night my wife's car was stolen from our driveway. That...

Auto accident liability [ 5 Answers ]

Recently my wife was involved in an auto accident. It was her fault (she hit a parked car). We live in a no fault state, and the person who's car she hit wants us to pay for the damages. While we have full coverage insurance, she only has personal liabilty insurance (the minimum that our state...

Homeowner liability [ 20 Answers ]

As a homeowner renting out a room, can my roommate sue me if she has a slip and fall type accident on my property?

Trampoline liability [ 0 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a full-size round trampoline for my two kids, 5 and 7. It is in our fenced (3 1/2 ft.) backyard, which is visible to at least a dozen homes in the neighborhood. All of a sudden, every kid in the neighborhood wants to come over and make friends---and the first thing they...

View more questions Search