Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 12:36 PM
    If you could choose, will you prefer you never had a bf/gf
    Okay, I have been reading this forum and I think there are a lot of good advices from experiences people.

One thing I have been kept thinking: it seems like dating,having a relationship is just tough, so if you all have a second chance, will you prefer it never happened to you and u'd rather being single.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I am learning so much from all of you, I truly appreciate all who have posted their cases and advices on this forum!

Hugs!
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 12:46 PM
    I have had several very very bad relationships in my life. But I don't regret a single one of them. I was able to take something from each person. Something that helped shape who I am now. Relationships go bad, but there is good in them too and you won't experience the same thing with another person. I would rather have the 10 minutes of sadness in my 10 hours of hapiness, than have nothing at all.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    I would rather have the 10 minutes of sadness in my 10 hours of hapiness, than have nothing at all.
    Thank you.
    Could that be 10 minutes of happiness in the 10 hours of sadness?
    That's what I am worried about...
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Well, let's put it this way ; if I had to be single again I would definitely go about it differently. I wish that this so-called "information age" had existed back when I was in my late teens and early 20s, where I could glean all of the advice offered on forums such as this. I think it would have made me a better and wiser person. Of course, there's something to be said for experience too, which I certainly didn't have in my teens and 20s and all the technology in the world can't provide that. I guess the Quakers put it best when they say "too soon old and too late wise."
    Skrypt Posts: 156, Reputation: 25

Jul 16, 2007, 01:22 PM
    When it comes down to it... there is absolutely no substitute for experience.

... unless they make virtual reality goggles :) hehehehe
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Jul 16, 2007, 01:29 PM
    No... I would rather have had every single bad relationship then to never have had it at all. Every relationship taught me something and it seems like every lesson I learn is handy in the next relationship. Truly, many of the crappy relationships that were like the worst (ie: drugs, alcoholism, verbal abuse) there are aspects I wish I could have changed, but then it wouldn't have been the same. So no... I am glad I got some miles on me so I can use my experiences to help others and myself.:)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    Thank you.
    Could that be 10 minutes of happiness in the 10 hours of sadness?
    That's what I am worried about...
    Overall, I think you will find that the happy moments will by far out-number the sad ones. And even if they don't... isnt it worth it for the few happy ones there are? The world is such a sad place, any bit of happiness is worthwhile.
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 02:53 PM
    It would be nice to have not had the unhappiness to be honest. But then I wouldn't have learnt so much and had so much happiness. As said above I would have gone about it a lot differently for certain.
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Jul 16, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    Okay, I have been reading this forum and I think there are a lot of good advices from experiences ppl.

One thing I have been kept thinking: it seems like dating,having a relationship is just tough, so if you all have a second chance, will you prefer it never happend to you and u'd rather being single.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I am learning so much from all of you, I truly appreciate all who have posted their cases and advices on this forum!

Hugs!
    If I had the power to go back and change things, I would go through all of the bad relationships that I have all over again. It's because of those relationships that I'm now a stronger person emotionally. There is good that can be taken out of almost any bad relationship. I think that I would be a different person at my core if I did not experience heartache.

As for rather being single than married, I'm very happy that I get to share my live and experiences with the person that I love. If I didn't I wouldn't be married:)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 16, 2007, 03:18 PM
    I'd love a second chance at things, but I'm afraid that I would lose the world I have now, so no way do I go back and change a thing.
    woh337 Posts: 149, Reputation: 6

Jul 16, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Hard to say, life is what happens when you are making plans! I guess I'll go with the flow!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 16, 2007, 10:05 PM
    I agree, though I've been put through the wringer, so to speak, many times, I wouldn't change a thing. It's the bad times that give us the most opportunity to learn and grow, as well as teaching us to appreciate what we truly have in better times.
    To a degree I guess I had given up on ever finding someone who could appreciate me for who I am. Until recently I had been on one (yes, one!) actual date in 7 years. Yet recently I found myself attracted to someone whom I encounter on a fairly regular basis. Though I was appreciably reluctant to approach her, given that I felt I was so very rusty in the dating and relationship department.
    Much to my great surprise, she made the first move, but a few weeks later. Through our fairly in-depth conversations, I discovered that her birthday was but a short time away. I made a lavish effort on that day, and within a week we were out on our very first date. Despite having hardly dated in 7 years, nothing ever felt so comfortable to me, and I've never had such a fantastic date. Two months later we are still together and seeing each other multiple times a week, talking by phone sometimes daily.
    In many ways, it could be considered by some a challenging relationship. She is native to another country, and only speaks English to a moderate degree. I read and speak only an extremely limited degree of a dialect native to her country, of which she largely understands, though I have virtually no need to ever use. I met her parents on the very first date, having had dinner at their home, and continue to do so near weekly. And though they speak little to none of my language, somehow we seem to have a good understanding and communicate to a fairly good degree.
    I have always had a strong appreciation for her culture and many of its inherent values, and I think this is greatly reflected in much of what we genuinely share. She is so unlike many people that I have dated in the past. I still have certain, perhaps societally or famially ingrained, lingering tendencies such as over-spending or over-gifting as a way of showing my deep respect and appreciation for her -- but she continues to gently admonish me at times for such, liking me most for my relatively quiet company and who I genuinely am, and not so much for anything I can materially provide necessarily.
    Our nowadays multiple mutual friends, who have known her far longer than I, tell me we are perfectly suited for each other. People tell me I treat her like "a queen", and are sure we will be "hitched" within a year. But I'll tell you, I'm the lucky one. And I know it every day.
    The thing is, love came to me when I stopped searching for it. I had all but given up in the past year, that I would ever find anyone again -- and I had largely come to accept this to some degree on perhaps multiple levels -- least not someone whom would like me near solely for my often somewhat quirky personality and quiet, gentle nature alone. But there is a very easy peace in our thus far relatively short-term, though oftentimes seemingly intense union. I'm no longer struggling to find something, achieve something, or hang onto something. I'm just immensely grateful for every fully present minute I have together with her, and try not to ever worry too much about what tomorrow holds. Greatly confident most days that she will continue to be there to share it with me.
    Center a relationship strongly around giving and you will always have something to hang on to, no matter what transpires.
    One day of genuine love is worth a year of toil in my book. Please don't give up, you'll find what you are looking for when the time is most right. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Guys, do you prefer shy or outgoing women? [ 12 Answers ]

Anyone's opinion is welcome :)

Who should I choose? [ 12 Answers ]

I have been single for quite a while and then all of a sudden I met a friend who I was at school with which was over 5 years ago for names sake I will call him John, well we became friends and then one day out of the blue he asked me out, we get on really well as friends and was a bit shocked when...

Which one to Choose? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm quite new to computer and I've been asked to advise on which Program to choose for a company-Off-the-shelve application package or Bespoke Application package. Please help me to give a very meaningful answer as to the advantages and disadvanges each have over the other. Thank you.

Making Love/Having Sex Whatever you prefer. [ 13 Answers ]

My question is this: How frequently should a husband and wife have sex to satisfy each other? I know this will open a whole lot of comments, but my husband and I argue over this on a daily basis. Our situation is this: I work 8 - 5 he works noon to anywhere between midnight and 1:00 a.m. ...

View more questions Search