Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sean Cao Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 10:56 PM
    How do you see Chinese people?
    :)
    I am a Chinese export manager, for business, I meet too many foreign peoples. I feel there many difficults in communicating with foreigners, not because of language, sometimes, they see me with “color eyes”。So, I want to know your opinions. Please tell me your country and your opinion, Thanks!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 15, 2007, 11:00 PM
    I'm American.

I see people through their actions, not their race. I deal on a daily basis with people from around the world, and while I may sometimes have trouble understanding an accent (whether it's from China, Mexico, or Alabama, if it's different than the way I talk, it's an accent), if the person is courteous when I say "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that" then they're a good person to do business with, in my opinion. If a person becomes irate with me because I can't understand them, and yells and is rude, then they're a bad person to do business with.

I find rudeness to be a bigger barrier when I'm dealing with someone than their language, country of origin, or race.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 11:06 PM
    Canada,

Here we have multiculturism. We have people living here from around the world. There are many Chinese and Japenese business men here doing business. There is a language barrier but most of us deal with it, with a sense of humour and being courteous.

If the barrier is dealt with, with rudeness and frustration then of course it would be hard to deal with anybody that reacts that way.

Joe
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 12:05 AM
    USA
    Always staying on a professional level while remaining calm, understanding, polite, and courteous to others makes business communications easier for me.
    Even when someone is being rude and/or irate, I keep my composure in order to handle the situation.
    I take nothing personally, therefore I'm able to do my job without becoming emotional.

It is harder dealing with the rude people, so I make it a point not to be that way myself.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 05:28 AM
    USA

Color has never been a barrier for me but the lack of manners is and I can find that in everyone. If I am talking to someone and not able to understand the accent, I am honest about that and ask the person to repeat. I have had people tell me I speak too fast and so I need to adjust.

The world is smaller than it used to be, with the advances in technology and marketing, so no one should be treated as if they were outsiders.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Sean, in spite of what you may hear, I think most Americans - like me - could care less what the color of your skin is or where you're from. Show us your character, that's what counts.

Steve
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Cao
    I am a Chinese export manager, for business, I meet too many foreign peoples. I feel there many difficults in communicating with foreigners, not because of language, sometimes, they see me with “color eyes”。So, I want to know your opinions. Please tell me your country and your opinion, Thanks!
    I think most American Business will conduct trade with anyone, so long as they can show a profit; whether they will invite you into their circle of friends is a whole different matter.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 10:00 AM
    UK - Most people that I have contact with here are race-blind. They really couldn't care less.

RE: speechlesstx, the only way it makes sense is "couldn't care less" meaning they care so little that it's not possible for them to care any less.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 16, 2007, 11:01 AM
    How do I see the Chinese people? With my eyes.

I'm from the USA, and am the son and grandson of immigrants.

From my perspective, and being in the financial world (I'm a banker/financial analyst) I think that if you have a good product to sell, people are willing to buy it. If your money is good, they are willing to sell product to you. All of this is regardless of race or ethnicity. They may not always be able to understand your culture, but as long as they and you are mutually benefitting each other, who cares? You'e both getting rich. In many ways, the only color that matters is "green" (as in US currency). If your money is good, real businessmen don't care about your race, your politics, your religion, or your accent. If they care about those things, then they aren't real businessmen, and you should drop them like a hot potato as business partners.

On a more personal level, I have rarely seen as hard-working a group of people as the Chinese. They have what was once known as the "Protestant Work Ethic". Chinese people living in the USA tend to be among the hardest-working people, and the most interested in advanced education of all groups I have dealt with. They are, in my opinion, the model of what immigrants to the USA should be. They work hard. They get advanced educations. They become doctors, lawyers, scientists, computer professionals, financial leaders, and productive members of society as quickly as any group of immigrants to the USA ever have. And I include my own Jewish people. In my opinion, the Jewish immigrants and the Chinese immigrants made good on the American Dream more quick than any other people in American history. And I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Chinese-American community for being able to accomplish that. I consider that to be a function of family values, and clearly the Chinese people hold to those old-fashioned values.

So... how do I see Chinese people? With open eyes, looking at history. And I like what I see.

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Wondergirl agrees: Perfect! Americans COULDN'T care less!
    How's this? As far I'm concerned people "will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." But then you knew what I meant, didn't you wondergirl?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Cao
    Hello Sean I'm an Australian, ne how ma,
    I do not see Chinese people in terms of colour, having visited China, I found the chinese people very courteous and helpful, however I did find the chinese version of english unusual and perhaps this is part of the problem in communication. I particularly found the chinese pronunciation of the english alphabet strange when applied to chinese names. As far as colour is concerned some of you are a little suntanned but who isn't. I think what you are experiencing are cultural differences, to me chinese people appear very volatile and outspoken so I never know what to expect
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Sean Cao agrees: Work hard, everone should. Especially in China, only one job, thousands of people want to catch it. No free education、no free medical treatment... So work hard! If not, I will be replaced by my boss or my wife.

What do you mean you will be replaced by YOUR BOSS AND WIFE?lol
    :D
    I hear you, I am half Chinese half Japanese. I live in the States. I can tell you I have never met one single case that americans view me based on my race. THey view me by my merit and character. Americans are very open minded and have godd intentions always. As long as you do things in order, don't cheat people, your business relationship should be enhanced based on your credits.:)
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 30, 2007, 02:38 PM
    USA - rural
    Son of immigrants.
    1/4 Chinese.

I think it is human nature to be cautious of those that are different.
    But over here, most people will give you a chance and get to know you before judging based on appearance or preconceived notions. I'm not saying that there is no prejudice.

Agree with ET Wolverine about green being the most important color.

Welcome here.

Grace and Peace
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 30, 2007, 07:54 PM
    As a Caucasian male in the US currently dating a beautiful Chinese woman (born in China, living in the US for roughly twelve years), I can tell you that not all people view the world in such a heartily analytic or divisive manner. People will be people in my opinion, for better or for worse, no matter where one happens to live.
    I've always had a great love and respect for much of traditional Chinese art and culture myself.
    As to my most fulfilling relationship -- to me, she is one of the kindest, most caring and generous people I've ever met. We've been together a little over two months -- and I can truly say, it's been absolutely fabulous and only getting better with each passing day. Truly the best relationship I've ever been engaged in. In some truly wonderful ways she is so very different from many Americans I've known; though in the end, I find not so very different at all. Special where it counts, beneath the skin.
    I find her family to be equally kind and immensely endearing, despite an oftentimes considerable language barrier. But I think much of what is truly great about people often transcends spoken words. Actions are what count the most in my book. Compassion, understanding and forgiveness are equally important in any sort of dealings, business or otherwise. Give people time to learn, grow and change.
    Xie Xie.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Jul 30, 2007, 09:17 PM
    U.S.

If I see someone chinese I personally think they are smart, because I always here our teachers say they are a lot more intelligent than americans. Not sure if that's true though.
    But I'm 15 so who cares...
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1970
    As a Caucasian male in the US currently dating a beautiful Chinese woman (born in China, living in the US for roughly twelve years), I can tell you that not all people view the world in such a heartily analytic or divisive manner. People will be people in my opinion, for better or for worse, no matter where one happens to live.
    I've always had a great love and respect for much of traditional Chinese art and culture myself.
    As to my most fulfilling relationship -- to me, she is one of the kindest, most caring and generous people I've ever met. We've been together a little over two months -- and I can truly say, it's been absolutely fabulous and only getting better with each passing day. Truly the best relationship I've ever been engaged in. In some truly wonderful ways she is so very different from many Americans I've known; though in the end, I find not so very different at all. Special where it counts, beneath the skin.
    I find her family to be equally kind and immensely endearing, despite an oftentimes considerable language barrier. But I think much of what is truly great about people often transcends spoken words. Actions are what count the most in my book. Compassion, understanding and forgiveness are equally important in any sort of dealings, business or otherwise. Give people time to learn, grow and change.
    Xie Xie.
    Very beautiful story!:)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Hello Sean:

I love Chinese people. I'm American. However, being ever the cynic, if polls like this were to be believed, racism doesn't exist here in our fair country, and we know that's not true.

excon
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Sean:

I love Chinese people. I'm American. However, being ever the cynic, if polls like this were to be believed, racism doesn't exist here in our fair country, and we know that's not true.

excon
    I hear you!. “I love black people, they sing an dance all the time they such happy people, and them yello people they so polite.” :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 06:21 AM
    ETWolverine agrees: Chinese and Japanese, huh? From an historical perspective, that's an interesting mix. The Chinese and Japanese didn't always get along with each other. Your heritage must be one heck of a story...

Thank you very much Elliot.LOL, I know I know... I get along with almost everyone in America so is in Jap and China.:)
    The rule is be nice, cheirsh reputation, work hard and help others when you can. You want to be treated the way others treat me.
    My bestest friend is Jewish :D and I just love working with all Americans, such a diverse country, people welcome foreigners with a warm heart!
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 31, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    The rule is be nice, cheirsh reputation, work hard and help others when you can.
    Sounds like a pretty good rule to me.

U want to be treated the way others treat me.
    The "Golden Rule". I couldn't put it better myself.

My bestest friend is Jewish :D and I just love working with all Americans, such a diverse country, people welcome foreigners with a warm heart!
    Most of us try... at least with those immigrants who are here legally. There are always a few jerks around who hate people based on race, but I think they are the minority. Most of us are just folks trying to get by in life. We don't have time to waste on hatred of some particular race or other. We're too busy cleaning up our own side of the street to worry about everyone else's.

I have always enjoyed Asian cultures. I have a bakground in the martial arts and have always tried to study the HISTORY of the arts as much as the techniques. So the histories of China, Okinawa and Japan, from the time of Bodhidharma (The Chinese called him Ta Mo and the Japanese called him Daruma), the founder of the Chinese Shoulin-style Kung Fu systems and forward (roughly 500 AD) have always been pet subjects of mine. And one cannot effectively study the history (the reasons they did something, not just the fact that they did it) of a group without understanding that group's culture and the forces that drive that culture. So I have an affinity to Asian cultures.

Elliot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If someone can speak chinese, I need your help! [ 13 Answers ]

Hello all, I have found this forum to be quite valuable and I am hoping someone can help me out. I am looking to purchase some goods from a Chinese manufcature and import them to Australia. The product in particular are chair covers and the prices I have been quoted are very cheap. The...

Chinese tattoo [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, a friend of mine wants to tattoo chinese letters saying "only best is good enough". Does anyone knows how is that written in chinese? Thanks.

Chinese Word? [ 7 Answers ]

Dear; I want to confirm if Moten Or Motten or Motan Or Pasechi Moten Or Pasechi are chinese words and if so what are their meanings.Please Help Me.(EXPERT OPINION NEEDED) Thanks.(I'm in urgent need)

The number 8 in Chinese [ 2 Answers ]

Need the spelling in Chinese of the number 8 (eight) and the correct way it is pronounced. Thx!

Chinese meals [ 5 Answers ]

I'd like to try out some chinese meals (I got a set of chopstick, so I want to put them to use). What would you recommend for a beginner? I hear they got all kinds of funny combinations like meat with honey and whatnot, so just name me something that will not be THAT strange in the beginning. If I...

View more questions Search