Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    APPRAISHA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Gas into Electric
    Does anyone know how to turn a gas home into all Electric and or is this something I'd need to get a permit to do? :confused:

Can a gas home become a solar powered operated home? How?
    Turbopro25 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2007, 03:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by APPRAISHA
    Does anyone know how to turn a gas home into all Electric and or is this something I'd need to get a permit to do? :confused:

Can a gas home become a solar powered operated home? How?
    In order to do so you would need to take out all the gas piping in the home and have electrical wiring run to all your gas fixtures that are now going to be electric. It is something that you would want to have a permit for. Anytime dealing with gas pipe especially.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 05:36 AM
    You could probably cap off gas, all ends, in case of future use.
    Plus its time, money, and destructive to remove.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Possible, yes. Easy, no. I am sure a net search of solar powered houses would turn up a million hits. An electric house off the grid likely would include a service upgrade. If you are in an older neighborhood, the infrastructure may not be available. One of your first contacts should be your electric company.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 02:02 PM
    When you say Gas, do you mean ALL GAS? How big is your house? And how big is
    Your panel? Extra Spaces? When I wire a house for gas, I still provide power, for those who don't want gas later, power to Dryer and Range, and water heater, Don't know if current code requires prewiring. I do it anyway. The Central Air is another big load.
    Pull pane cover off. Or remove any plates behind range.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing gas to electric [ 5 Answers ]

I am thinking of buying a home. The one I want uses gas for heating and cooking. How hard would it be to convert that to electric? I am terrified of blowing myself up in a home that has gas. The house I am looking at is about a 100 years old. Any information would be great.

Gas or electric [ 2 Answers ]

OK now, what my weed eater seized up and now its useless when I buy a new one should I buy gas powered or electric. Which will last longer and which will get the job done more efficiently ?

Converting From Gas to Electric Heat [ 3 Answers ]

I'm buying a home in southern WV which is gas heated and has electric a/c. The current owners pay $123 and $35 per month respectfully on the budget plan which seems way out of kilter to me. Notwithstanding the individual user differences and that the price of electricity here is way less...

Gas Vs. Electric [ 12 Answers ]

I am terrible with engines so I was considering getting all electric Lawn equipment. What do you think I would be sacrificing ? I have a zero Lot line so I don't have that much to cut and Some of the equipment is wireless.

Convert gas heat to electric [ 4 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of converting our gas heat to electric. We just moved to TN and are astounded that the gas man comes every four weeks and fills the tank and our house is COLD all the time anyway!! We are thinking that electric heat would be more proficient and cost...

View more questions Search