Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Heating & Air conditioning
    Would it be recommended to set the A/C thermostat on "fan" to keep the house cooler?
    What does the "fan" setting in a home a/c do?
    Does it make the house cooler?
    Does it use more energy than individula ceiling fans?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 04:23 PM
    The fan "ON" on the thermostat will make the fan run continusly, and yes it will cost more to run then the ceiling fan because it has a larger motor. Does it make the house cooler ? No, just circulates air.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 11:30 PM
    Some newer furnace blowers draw very little current. Even so, ceiling fans are more effective.
    mfdbackdraft Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 08:51 PM
    Yes, it may make your house cooler, if you have the same situation as I do. Let me explain: My thermostat is in the first floor east facing living room of a two story which has an overhang and a large tree in front. This room doesn't get as warm as the rest of the house in summer as the day goes on, so the thermostat won't kick in as the rest of the house warms up. I turn the fan switch to run tocirculate cool/warm air to balance out the difference in the west facing and second floor rooms. I have tried but ceiling fans won't move air like this.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2012, 09:10 PM
    Running the fan won't make the house cooler but it will make it more comfortable since the air should be a more constant temp from room to room and floor t.o floor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating & Air conditioning Fan [ 7 Answers ]

My home heating & air conditioning fan does not shut off by itself when the temperature is reached. It continues to run constantly. I had to unplug the cord to get the fan to stop running.

Heating & Air Conditioning [ 3 Answers ]

There was a question I neglected to ask in my previous note. How do I fix a situation involving a radiator. Whenever the boiler turns on and it begins to heat the system, there is a radiator that makes a loud noise as if someone is banging it with a metal object. How do I fix that? Thanks again for...

House Heating & Air Conditioning [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there: I have American Standard HEATING AND AIR , After set the temp, the heater is start running hot air, about 4-5 min is worm air, then become cold air and never stop, till manualy shot it off , keep blowing cold air , some one told me go and change the termostat controler but did not...

Heating & Air Conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Goodman furnace. The thermostat is telling the furnace to come on, but it does not. This happens at least twice a day. I have to turn it on by turning the furnace on and off. There is a blinking red light that flashes five times, which I do not know what that means. Please Help

View more questions Search