Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JEROME870 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 06:53 AM
    Unauthorized Charges
    I recently made a payment to earthlink with my bankcard and the next day they charged me an additional 154.90 without my knowledge.when I called the companythey said that once they have your card numberthey can use it for anything that is due even without your permission to keep the number on file for future payments.what can I do ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Hello Jerome:

Call your credit card company and file a fraud complaint. They'll give you your money back. Cancel your earthlink account!

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Yes, cancell your earth link today and report them to the credit card company.

I had BC/BS insurance do the same thing this last week, I have filed a formal complaint with them with the State Insurance commission, I have reported them to the State Banking regulators, and also to the bank that does my credit cards.

This is very wide spead, happens all the times, most people do nothing about it. Collection agencies are the worst, once they get you to write them a physcial check, they get the routing numbers and keep taking money out.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 12:58 PM
    I will say that you probably gave them the authority to do that in the fine print that no one ever reads when they sign up. But you can cancel your account. On the other hand, if you owe them money, when you cancel they will probably send you bills, sue, all that fun stuff.

So, is it that they used the credit card when you didn't want them to, or did they charge you for something that you don't feel like you owe them?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Did they explain exactly what this $154.90 was "due" for? You certainly have a right to know what such an unexpected charge is for. If you truly feel that the extra charge is not legitimate and fear that they will continue to charge your credit card then you may want to contact your credit card company and explain the situation. They should be able to advise you on the best course of action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unauthorized Charge on card and release of private information to a third party [ 1 Answers ]

I have been out of work due to illenss and my storage unit was in arrears, when I called to see how much I owed I was told the account was current I asked how and she said it was paid for on my credit card, I told the rep that I did not have a credit card and she looked it up and said it was the...

Theft but no charges? [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of instances where you were caught shoplifting in a grocery chainstore by their in house loss prevention officer and the police are called, but the police did not end up laying down charges for theft? Did the loss prevention officer have influence over the possibility of having...

Pressing charges [ 3 Answers ]

How much does it cost to press charges against a private citizen

Unauthorized entry [ 2 Answers ]

I came and was barely able to get into my driveway. I live in a cul-de-sac the entire cul-de-sac was packed and I could barely get through. Once I did get through I saw around 20-30 people all going in and out of my premises, which is 15 Freda Court. My fiancé is the lease holder my name is not...

View more questions Search