Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marisapan1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Responsibilities of next-of-kin
    My mother died last week in the state of Florida. My aunt was named the executor of her estate in the will which has not yet been submitted to the probate court. My mother made my 17 year old daughter the beneficiary of her entire estate. I am the co-owner of the credit union account where her social security check gets deposited. I informed the credit union of her demise so that they could return the next SS check as I don't want to be associated with SS fraud. My aunt is very angry that I did that, that I had an obituary published in the local newspaper and that I went to the funeral home to claim the cremains. She has contested my possession of the cremains and so now the funeral home is refusing to release them due to the dispute. My aunt claims that I have no power or authority to do any of these things because even though I am next-of-kin, she is the executor of the estate. I am confused as to what my rights and responsibilities are in this matter.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Hello Marisapan:

In the world, there's what people SHOULD do... and then there's what they ACTUALLY do. They're not the same. In legal situations, some people need to be FORCED to do what they already SHOULD be doing.

I would hire an enforcer (lawyer).

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Next of Kin Responsibility, California [ 5 Answers ]

My brother in law, 27 with no insurance and an illegal immigrant, was shot and killed by police last week but he did not die on scene. He was air lifted to our local hospital and died there. We buried him three days ago and now the hospital is contacting us for payment on his bills. Do we have to...

Responsibilities of debts [ 4 Answers ]

My son is the only child of his deceased father. There was no will. There is a 1st and a personal 2nd loan on the home property. The mortagage company has given us the option to give back the property to satisfy the loan on the 1st. Now my question is my son liable for the 45,000.00 owed on the...

Landlord responsibilities [ 3 Answers ]

In Florida, is the landlord responsible for providing window coverings for all window in the property he/she is renting out?

Legal responsibilities as next of kin [ 1 Answers ]

I have now after talking with many people realized that the chance on my mother-in-law being found incompetent are slim to none because she is aloud to make horrid decisions as long as she knows who she is and can fake her way through with a nod and a smile. I need to know if my husband being her...

Legal responsibilities [ 2 Answers ]

my friend, who's 17 left her house and now lives with us. my parents are going to take responsibility for her. what does that entail?

View more questions Search