Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alittlesteph Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 10:16 PM
    My bathroom has 2 layers of tile/ can it take a 3rd?
    My bathroom has 2 layers of tile and the woman who owned it before me tried to remove the tile. ( she did about a 1 ft square before she gave up- that's how I know there is 2 layers) she was very proud of the carpet she GLUED to the floor with contractors glue!! YUCK!! I am going to rip the carpet out and put in new tile. Can I just pour floor leveler in where she chipped it out with a SKREWDRIVER and then tile over or do I need to chisel it all out and start over? My house was built in 1908 but is solid. The tub is cast iron with enamel. My boyfriend thinks we may even need to take the tub out. Is that right? There was a claw foot tub still here from the bathroom so I assume that at least there is one layer of tile under the tub.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 15, 2007, 05:38 AM
    Being an almost 100 year-old house, I'd think the best thing is to rip it all out, start anew.

XenoSapien
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Jul 15, 2007, 05:40 AM
    I would just bite the bullet and rip it all up. It might take a bit more time and effort but it will be a lot more permanent and will look a load better.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jul 15, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Rip it all out, start over. Spending all that time to put it OVER somebody else's mess isn't going to achieve fixing the mess. If any of that is done wrong, you'll pay in the end... have to do it AGAIN.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 15, 2007, 05:26 PM
    I Agree With All The Above, Tear It Out, And Start Over, They May Of Tiled Over Problems That Will Bite You Later. Say Like A Leaky Toilet.
    Especially If You Plan To Stay Here For A While Just Do It Right One Time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

Tile Underlayment in Bathroom. [ 3 Answers ]

Due to a cast iron toilet flange that sticks up approximately 1" after old tile/mortar removal, I need to build up an underlayment. The subfloor is 3/4" plywood 16" oc. I am thinking about putting down a 5/8 layer of plywood and than 1/4 cement backerboard to get level with flange for tiling....

Bathroom Wall Tile [ 2 Answers ]

I am tiling my bathroom walls with a ceramic tile. I want to do a diamond pattern. When I cut the pieces on a 45 degree angle, the tile chips off when I get close to the opposite corner. I don't get a clean cut from end to end. What is the secret to getting a nice end to end cut?

Tile a Bathroom floor [ 5 Answers ]

I'm currently remodeling my bathroom. The plan is to replace the toilet and vanity. Should I tile up to the vanity or install the tile prior to installing the vanity and have the tile under the edges of the new vanity? Thanks for the help!

Clogged Bathroom Sink 3rd Floor Condo [ 1 Answers ]

I live on a 3rd floor condo and there is no condo above me, there are two below me. I've noticed lately that my bathroom sink drains slowly. I put liquid plumber and it temporarily fixed the problem. About a week or two later it was draining slowly again. I left it as is. Today after coming home...

View more questions Search