Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    floored Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Cannot retrieve broken auger in basement trap
    I broke about 3 ft. of 3/8 of an auger in basement floor 2" drain trap.
    I asked the local tool rental shop if they carried a retreival bit, but they didnt know
    what I was talking about. I looked in their bin of what was available, & didnt see it.
    Problem is, they were only available on a 1/4 elec. auger anyway, & I can barely
    get around the 90 with the thinner 3/8 in. cable as it is.
    Took an old hand auger and made a similar "retreival end" on it in a vice, but still
    no go, can't get it to go more than 3 or 4 feet.
    I'm guessing my total travel to the main drain is about 6-8 ft. with the 90 turn in the 2"
    Drain pipe.
    Tried water blasting many times, out of ideas, time to call a plumber? Bob:mad:
    [email protected]
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 14, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Sad to say, but it sounds like you may have to call a plumber on this one. Especially if the broken piece is very deep in the line.

XenoSapien
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Most of the time when a cable breaks going through a 2" trap, it breaks right in the trap. I am not sure what all you have tried but I would try using a 1/4 inch cable and try to get it tangled around the 3/8's and then try to pull them both out.

If you don't have any luck let us know, we might have other ideas.
    floored Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Ok, Let. I believe I tried a 1/4 inch a few years ago on this trap, (motorized) but it would not go through the turn or whatever, just after entering, (used to rent it out every year for the mainline roots, since replaced the main).
    I'm going to have to try again with the smallest bit they can offer, I'm between calling a plumber, see if he has any ideas or gets lucky, or apply the money I would have paid him towards the rental.
    Am going to try by hand again tomorrow real slow, but I think at this point it needs motorized force.
    Will update you either way. Thanks Bob
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 16, 2007, 07:35 AM
    They do make a retrieval tip,(see image) that's designed to auger into the broken cable and bring it back. Most rental places carry a full set of tips for their rental snakes. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement shower P trap and an upflush [ 1 Answers ]

Where to begin?? I am in the infant stages of finishing our basement. Want to install a full bath down there and have had the concrete busted up, drain pipes for a toilet (4"), vanity (2") and a shower (2") laid and cemented back in. There was no P trap (just a 90) installed in the concrete for...

No trap in basement shower. Ugh! [ 1 Answers ]

I discovered the source of sewer gas in an older home... there is no trap in the basement shower. There is also a pipe from the clothes washer that runs into this drain near the top, just under the bottom of the shower. It looks like the pipe drops about 12" into a tee under the floor. I'm guessing...

Broken nut holding trap... [ 3 Answers ]

OK - I have attached pictures to this because I have no idea of the terms I am about to throw around, and if any of them are correct. We recently purchased an older victorian, and the downstairs bath does not look like it has been renovated in the last 15 to 20 years. It is in decent shape,...

Installing a shower trap in the basement [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first post. When I purchase my house a full bath was roughed into the basement. I am in the process of installing a shower base in my basement. The builder roughed in the shower as follows - 6 inch PVC pipe straight into the concete

1930s basement floor drain w/out trap? [ 5 Answers ]

Have any of you ever seen a floor drain that doesn't have a trap in it? In our house half the basement is finished and the other half unfinished, both have floor drains in lowest part of the room. The one in the unfinished part always worked, albeit slowly, but recently stopped and when snaked...

View more questions Search