Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptrcamoni1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Orphaned kitten
    What do I feed an orphaned kitten 1 week old? Is regular mild OK or is evaporated milk better?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Regular milk is fine. You can give it to the kitten with an eye dropper, it works wonders! I take in orphaned animals all the time :)
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 14, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Regular milk will give pets diarrhea.You have to give milk replacer which you can buy at most large pet stores,or even babies formula will work.You will have to feed every two hours also,perhaps even sooner .The kitten will become restless and cry when it needs feeding.You need to sleep next to it so you will be able to hear it cry,or set an alarm so you will be able to get up to feed.It also needs a heating pad to stay warm,on low setting.Make sure it is not to hot,maybe put a blanket or towel over the heating pad.I also put a small stuffed animal in the box with the baby so it has something to cuddle up to.This is a very tough job,it is worse than caring for a real baby.I did it quite a bit when I worked as a Vet tech,so prepare yourself for little cat naps for the next couple of weeks.Kittens that are bottle fed turn out to be great pets,because they truly believe you are their mother for life.Good luck.;)
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 07:34 PM
    I have never had regular milk give my pets diarrhea, but that's just my personal experience :)

Jul 15, 2007, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    I have never had regular milk give my pets diarrhea, but thats just my personal experience :)
    I have been a vet tech for 5 years,and all the vets I worked for said never give small animals milk,we nursed goats,deer, squirrels,
    Kittens,and puppies.We used goats milk for deer and goats ,and evaporated milk recipe for squirrels.It is your choice,because it is your kitten,but there are minerals in formula that are not in pasturrized milk,that is one reason babies are not fed whole milk.

Jul 15, 2007, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ptrcamoni1
    what do I feed an orphaned kitten 1 week old? Is regular mild ok or is evaporated milk better?
    The kitten is not able to urinate on it's own,so you have to help it by stimulating it,as its mother would.I used a small dry cloth and rub the area where the urine exits,very lightly.I thought this was crazy when I was younger,but the mother does this when she licks her kitten.ther is a site on the internet called- about.com/how to nurse kittens.This is a step by step process,and this lady knows what she is talking about.Good luck.
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jul 17, 2007, 06:34 PM
    pompano is correct. Your can buy kitten meal replacer kmr at your local vet. The stimulation of the kitten's perianal area is vitally important. They have not developed the nerves or impulses for evacuation of urine or feces. Best of luck to you. Please remember to cuddle the kitten often or even but in a covered hot water bottle into her bed. Kittens need warmth and love just like human babies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New kitten [ 4 Answers ]

I adopted a kitten from a shelter 6 days ago. She is in my bedroom and I have put food out for her and a kitty litter pan. She uses the pan and eats all her food but I never see her. I think she is hiding under my bed, but I can't find her. I go in the room and read to her and talk to her, but I...

New kitten [ 10 Answers ]

I'm getting a new kitten, I don't have any other cays but I do have to dogs, I was wondering if I should get a girl, or boy kitten. Im not going ot get it neutered, and its not going to bew aloud outside. I want it to be calm and socialanble which gender of cat is more like this?

New Kitten [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to get a new kitten, but I am worried about our space. I live upstairs at my house and I was wondering if you had any ideas how to keep my kitten from attempting to climb down the stairs outside my door.

Kitten help [ 2 Answers ]

Kittens in dire need of help!! Hello all,I am a first timer to this page.So I wasn't sure what catergory to put this under.I am a foster mommy to a beautiful cat who just recently had kittens last month.Before hand I didn't have fleas in my house and now I do,and they are on my kittens and I am...

I want another kitten! [ 9 Answers ]

Ok I already have one kitten.. she will be a yr old on July 15! Her name is Tinx.. She is my baby.. she is so spoiled! But I want to get another kitten so Tinx has someone to play with while we are away at work! The only problem she doesn't seem to get along very well with other cats.. I guess...

View more questions Search