Dry nitrogen.
    kesavan Posts: 118, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Thanks,
    What is the reason for using Nitrogen?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Mainly because it doesn't combust as easily.

Mexicana Airlines flight 940 on March 31, 1986. Shortly after the Boeing 727 took off from Mexico City en route to Puerto Vallarta, an overheated landing-gear brake caused a tire improperly filled with air instead of nitrogen to overheat as well and explode, rupturing fuel and hydraulic lines. The ensuing fire and crash killed 167 passengers and crew.
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Jul 19, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Nitrogen will not expand as the tire heats up, which keeps air pressure even

Sep 28, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires to reduce the expansion/contraction caused by extreme heat generated on landing and severe cold temp. at altitude.

Sep 28, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    mainly because it doesn't combust as easily.

Mexicana Airlines flight 940 on March 31, 1986. Shortly after the Boeing 727 took off from Mexico City en route to Puerto Vallarta, an overheated landing-gear brake caused a tire improperly filled with air instead of nitrogen to overheat as well and explode, rupturing fuel and hydraulic lines. The ensuing fire and crash killed 167 passengers and crew.

The problem is not that the air is combustible, but the pressure increase inside the tire that blows the tire off the rim with explosive force, sending shrapnel from the 8 ply of steel belts inside the tread through the fuselage to rupture fluid lines. The temp. of a main brake assembly during a normal landing rollout is enough to ignite kerosene if its dumped directly on it. The Concorde had this happen on takeoff, although the tire hit debris on the rnwy to cause the explosion instead of over-inflation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plane geometry [ 2 Answers ]

I need the formula for the area of a circle, thanks.

Harbor Breeze Aero ceiling fan/light - manual? [ 1 Answers ]

I installed an Aero 52" fan in my son's room last year. It worked fine for a couple of months then stopped. I have our handyman looking at it now and he thinks the remote might be broken, but would like to look at the Installation Manual. I threw that away shortly after installing it and having it...

Harbor Breeze 52" Aero Ceiling Fan Light Replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Just moved into a new apartment, and the light in my ceiling fan blew out. I have tried and tried but can not seem to figure out how to open the light fixture to replace the bulb. Any suggestions?

Kinematics Plane [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot figure out this question! "An airplane can reach speeds of 980m/s. How long would it take a plane traveling at this speed to travel 1500KM? Why would it actually take longer than this? So my teacher wants either m/s or km/h and I want to change it it to km/h:confused:

Plane trigonometry [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried to solve these but with no luck.:confused: 1). Find the area of the following triangles: (Use Logarithms) a. a=12.7, b=21.5, and c=28.6. b. c=426, A=45°48'36", and B=61°2'13" c. An isosceles triangle in which each of the equal sides is 14.72 in.and the vertex...

View more questions Search