Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Jul 14, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Do fish drink water?
    My almost 5 year old daughter wants to know what happens to the water in her golfish bowl. She says the fish drinks it. I am not so sure.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Most fish do drink plenty of water. However I'm sure you're aware that what goes in must come out... they excrete most of the water right back into the bowl (their urine is very dilute because of the amount of it that they process). So this wouldn't cause the water level in the bowl to go down.

What you're seeing is evaporation. Just like how puddles dry up.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Fish drink differently depending on whether they are salt water or freshwater fish.

Marine water bony fish need to drink loads and secrete the excess salt in order to maintain water homeostasis (balance) in their bodies. They have little concentrated urine.

Freshwater bony fish - mostly gain their water from osmosis (passive diffusion of water) across the gills and their food, I don't think they intentionally drink. They have to actively get rid of water so they don't burst so I think this would be unnecessary. They excrete dilute large amounts of urine. They get their salts from their food in order to maintain a balance.

The water will be leaving the bowl by evaporation and she probably thinks she can see it drinking when it gulps air at the surface. This means you might need to get a pump to oxygenate the bowl if it does this a lot. Or possibly she thinks it is drinking when it gulps in water in order to pass it over its gills.

Probably more info than you need but I think it is good to tell kids about random stuff. It's great you're finding out used to really annoy me when adults said 'it's magic' to me as a kid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog won't drink water [ 9 Answers ]

My dog is 4 months old and he lost his first baby teeth last week and will only eat soft food, which is understandable, but now for the last 3 days he will not drink water. I had to start adding water to his food and make it like a gravy because he refuses the water completely. I can't afford to...

Won't drink water at all [ 6 Answers ]

My dog had been throwing up. I have got that under control but now he won't drink any water. Usually that is all he does. I have tried ice cubes in and out of the water, flavored water, juice, pedialyte, the only thing he will do is eat popsicles. He is on the boiled chicken and rice diet. I am...

Why do dogs drink scummy water? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I have been taking my greyhound to a play group that meets at an off-leash dog park on Sundays. She loves it. My problem is that the "park" actually belongs to the utility company, and is really an area set aside for storm run-off. (You see these a lot in Austin... essentially shallow...

My dog won't drink his water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toy poodle that's 6yrs old, he was throwing up , he would drink his water but he couldn't keep it down. Took him to his vet they gave him meds, he's back eating his food but I can't get him to drink on his own, been giving him water with a eye dropper lookig thing.His vet is out of town,...

Dog won't drink water [ 9 Answers ]

Yesterday I found a stray dog in the street. He didn't have a collar. My mom and I walked him over to the nearby vet and she came out and looked him over. She said he was about 6 years old and her and I both agreed he seems to look like a shepherd collie mix. He's just a sweet heart, but the...

View more questions Search