Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xmeetmenmontauk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Lowering rent for new tenants
    I signed a lease in a college-oriented apartment complex with an agreement to pay $525 a month. Only a few weeks later they have advertised the apartments at $475 a month. I have not even moved in yet and people are living in the same apartment for $50 cheaper. Is this legal? I tried to reason with my landlord but she claims that unless I can prove it illegal, I have no choice but to pay extra. Please help! :(
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 14, 2007, 03:47 AM
    Sounds like you are bound to the lease you signed. You agreed to the $525 with your signature. I'd be surprised if a judge found in favor of you getting the reduced price.

XenoSapien
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Hello x:

Yeah, I hate it when I buy a computer and find out that the price dropped the day after I bought it. But, that's what happens in business. They didn't cheat you.

excon
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 14, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Yep. Sometimes we get a good deal, and most of the time we don't. :)

XenoSapien
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2007, 06:34 AM
    The complex is right. You agreed to the rental. If they decided after leasing to you that they weren't getting enough takers at the higher rent, then they made a business decision. It happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-payment of utilities or rent by tenants [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! We have a rental house in north Georgia. The current tenants have been there since January 2006. Before they moved in, the house had been vacant for a few months & needed to have repairs made. That being the case, we had the electricity turned back on & had the gas tank filled so there...

Lowering child support [ 2 Answers ]

I have two teenagers. Their father just started paying child support 2 years ago. Now he wants to lower it. He is claiming that he has a child older than my two, a one year old and one on the way. What are his chances of getting the order of support lowered?

Lowering the P-Trap in kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

I want to replace a double kitchen sink with a single sink model that is about 4" deeper. A disposal is currently installed and will be reinstalled in the single sink. I'm concerned that the new sink will lower the drain piping such that the p-trap will need to be lowered. I am unfamiliar with a...

Lowering a toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you! I need to lower 2 toilet flanges about 2 in. One is PVC the other copper, but both 3 in. I think I need to remove the old ones, cut the pipes and add a new flange. Is this correct? I think the new flanges will have to go inside of the 3 in. pipes. I hear that this is not ideal. ...

One of Co-Tenants refusing to pay rent and security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

In my house in New Brunswick, NJ, one of my co-tenants is making an extremely unfair demand that would cause 8 of us to suffer unfairly because of that one person. The co-tenant says that if we don't agree to the demand, then she won't pay her security deposit and rent. Do we have to worry...

View more questions Search