Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    launikalinda Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Jul 13, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Can a doctor tell if your having sex?
    I'm suppose to be going to the doctor and I might get a pap-smear and can a doctor tell if you are having sex from that? And will they tell your parents since I'm 17?
    darkness1970us Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

Jul 13, 2007, 03:34 PM
    They may not be able to tell, but the results of the test can be inaccurate if you don't inform you doctor. ALWAYS be honest with your doctor.

In answer to your second question. He might, but as a general rule (in order to encourage honesty from their patients) they won't. I'm not certain if you fall under doctor/patient confidentiality as a minor.

One way or the other, though, TELL YOUR DOCTOR.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 13, 2007, 03:37 PM
    First let me congratulate you on taking your health into your own hands and getting your yearly exam. That is awsome and you should be proud of yourself.

Now, the doctor cannot tell if you are having sex strictly by an exam, but he is sure to ask, so be sure to tell the truth.

Lastly, no he cannot tell your parents. This is called the HIPAA Act. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. What you say to the doctor is private.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 03:39 PM
    The fact that you are having sex will not cause an abnormal papsmear. If that were the case we'd all have abnormal paps. The doctor can see if your hymen has been broken, but a tampon can break it, along with trauma to the groin.

From what I remember, just from being to the doctor, the doctor/patient confidentiality does not apply if you are a minor. I could be wrong, so don't quote me on that.

But darkness is correct, you should ALWAYS be honest with your doctor. Remember, he/she is the one that takes care of your health and wellness.
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Jul 13, 2007, 03:40 PM
    If penetrαtion wαs within 24 or 48 hours they cαn tell-- well thαts whαt I heαrd... otherwise no becαuse there αre people with umm "wide VJ's"

Depends where you αre -- but when your over 16 usuαlly the tell you αheαd of time or αsk for your consent.
    Kadehadaire Posts: 197, Reputation: 10

Jul 24, 2007, 03:35 AM
    Where do you live? In the UK the doctor cannot tell your parents unless you have given consent.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 04:16 AM
    This practice dates back to 2400 years ago, when the Hippocratic Oath was authored. All licensed doctors will be under a similar oath, somewhat modified to recent times, but still includes a statement about not divulging information that is acquired through their job.
    launikalinda Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Jul 24, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Right now I live in Texas but I might be moving to New York
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 04:07 PM
    A doctor has what is called patient/doctor privilege. He cannot discuss your health care with anyone without your consent. That does include minors, in your particular situation.

However, if it is a 10 year old that is sick and needs surgery, well that is a different matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When Should I See a Doctor? [ 4 Answers ]

Since we have multiple postings on when it is important to seek medical advice, I thought I would post a few guidelines on when it is important to seek medical attention. It is important to contact your doctor's/dentist's office if you notice significant changes in how you feel and function. ...

What should I do next doctor will not help [ 10 Answers ]

I have had a headache for the past 4 weeks I went to see my doctor said it's a typical teen headache and after one more week I got really concered as it started to get worser and worse so I decided I would ask for a ct scan Im 15 years of age by the way and my mom thinks I'm being stupid I had to...

Should I go to a Doctor? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on the pill now for about a year, about a month ago I missed approx 3-4 active pills. I wasn't engaging in any sexual activity at the time so I know I can't be pregnant however about a week later I started bleeding and have been now for a month. Does anyone know what is...

Should I go to a doctor? [ 8 Answers ]

I feel hurts under my arm because of a tumor. I once had on my leg, but it disappeared in a week. I don't know whether I should go to doctor. I am afraid of surgery. I think it might not be very serious.

Should I see a Doctor [ 2 Answers ]

HI All, I have had my period for 13 to 16 days now. For the past 5 years I have averaged a period every 6 weeks for no more then 5 days. I have had two surgeries for endometriosis. Is this normal and at what point should I see a doctor?

View more questions Search