Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Treydog84 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Chicken or the egg?
    Does anyone know which one came first the chicken or the egg? Or is anyone ever going to find out what the answer is? Here's another one " If a tree falls in the middle of the forest and noone is around does it make a sound?" I would like to see how everyone responds to these.

Have a Grrreeeaaattt Day! :D
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 13, 2007, 03:03 PM
    The chicken. She came from a galaxy very far away, laid an egg on earth, then flew back and left the egg to confuse people with that very question.

No, the tree didn't make a sound because a tree will not perform for an empty theater.

XenoSapien
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Too funny Xeno! In my opinion the chicken came first from evolution from some sort of single-celled critter. Of course a tree still makes a noise when it falls and no one is around! ;)
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Aahhh but check out this website... CNN.com - Chicken and egg debate unscrambled - May 26, 2006
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 13, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Lol. I'll check out the site!

XenoSapien
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Treydog84
    Does anyone know which one came first the chicken or the egg? Or is anyone ever gonna find out what the answer is?
    I've actually thought about this and so I am going to answer this seriously. :) The egg had to come first. (And there is no answer. :) )

The way evolution works, a mutant sperm and mutant egg joined together to make a fertilized egg (called a "zygote"), which developed into the first chicken. That animal had some kind of difference from its parents that made it a chicken and its parents not chickens. It made more chickens, while its cousins went on making non-chickens.

In reality, it's unlikely that the change from non chicken to chicken happened in a single generation. It was probably MUCH more gradual than that. So there's no point in the evolution of chickens where you can draw a precise line and say, HERE is THE first chicken. Still, if it COULD happen in one generation, the answer would be the egg.

The real problem is the question. Sometimes a question can't be answered because it assumes something that isn't true--like "When did you stop beating your wife?" If you've never had a wife or never beaten your wife, it's impossible to answer that question. "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" is that kind of question. :rolleyes:
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 02:17 PM
    I would have thought the egg because it would be a mutation from something similar to a chicken
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear
    i would have thought the egg because it would be a mutation from something similar to a chicken
    Um. That's what I was trying to say.
    Only you said it in one line.:)
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 18, 2007, 03:41 PM
    That might depend on which side of the road the first egg was found on. If indeed the chicken did cross, perhaps now we know why? Food for thought! ;)
    As for the tree... Of course not, it landed on the Sasquatch! :rolleyes:
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Definitely the egg came first. All the way up the line to the first chicken (whether it was in this galaxy or another), it came from an egg. Even if some other creature (mutated, evolving, or whatever) laid it, if it contained the first chicken, it was indeed a chicken egg.

And yes, the tree makes a SOUND... however, it does not make a NOISE.

For a sound is a disturbance of mechanical energy that propagates through matter as a wave.

A noise is a fluctuation in, and the addition of, external factors to the stream of target information (or a signal) that is being being received at a detector (a person or anything else that is there to HEAR it).

Cases closed...

:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I saw a ghost while frying an egg then the egg turned blood red! [ 6 Answers ]

I was cooking at my fiance's Grandparents old farm house. I was standing at the stove frying eggs and noticed something looking at me from the other room. I looked and saw a shadow like creature disappear behind a wall. I looked back at the pan and the eggs were blood red! I screamed and then...

Egg to chick [ 2 Answers ]

Which part of the Egg becomes the Chick? Is it the yoke or the white?

How to let him down, how to egg him on [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so a guy i know is going to ask me out soon-- he's told several of my friends who told me-- but he's more of a brother than a boyfriend. I just don't see him that way. how do i let him know that without ruinging a friendship?? Then, there's a guy I know that i WANT to date. he's really sweet...

Egg Donation [ 1 Answers ]

MY daughter donated her eggs to a couple and received a substantial amount of money.Does she have to pay taxes on it?

Egg white or yolk, which becomes the chicken? [ 2 Answers ]

I always believed that the egg yolk supplies food for the growing chick inside the egg shell. Is that true, and if it is, what is the egg white for? :confused:

View more questions Search