Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheena_1456 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Indian Status Cards and Border Crossing
    I was just wondering if you can still use an Indian Status card for travel to the US, and if so what would be the secondary piece of ID to use if the Status card is primary?
    sheena_1456 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheena_1456
    I was just wondering if you can still use an Indian Status card for travel to the US, and if so what would be the secondary piece of ID to use if the Status card is primary?
    Can't somebody pleae give a reply instead of just viewing it? It would be muchly appreciated as I am attempting to travel down to the US for the day tomorrow.
    GC Legend Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 03:25 PM
    You probably know by now but perhaps this can help others.

"The use of the current status card as a form of identification at the Canada-US border has been under review for a number of years; however, INAC does not regulate which types of documents are acceptable at the Canada-US border."

"As of January 23, 2007, all Canadian citizens must have passports when travelling by air or sea into the United States. On January 1, 2008, all Canadians must have passports when crossing the U.S. border by land, as will Americans.

In response, the AFN is working towards a solution that respects the rights of our people to cross the border freely. We are currently in discussions with INAC, Canada Border Services Agency, and the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade on the use of the more secure Certificate of Indian Status Card as an approved “trans-border” travel document."

http://www.afn.ca/article.asp?id=3291
    OTR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Yes you can still use your Indian Status Card from the Canadian government to enter the U.S. I used it to enter the U.S. in 2004 and joined the Army. I'm out of the U.S. Army now, but still live and work here travelling back to Ontario from New York State every weekend.
    Horsehair Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 10:46 PM
    Under the "J treaty" I am not sure they agents are allowed to deny access. Here is a helpful link. Hope it helps

http://www.ptla.org/wabanaki/jaytreaty.htm
    biggmoose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2011, 04:24 PM
    Yes you can use your Indian Status cards to cross the border and I would give them your birth certificate or driver's licence too. Just make sure your Status card is not going to expire. Apparently, the border guards don't like expired Indians. Lol. They don't like using the Indian Status cards for crossing because they have to manually enter the information on it and it slows the processing of border crossing for others. But - they do take it. If you have a driver's licence with the chip or embedded info - that might cheer them up.
    janedoe84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2012, 09:36 AM
    People are saying in my community that they ask 2 pieces of photos IDs if you don't have a passport(Indian Status & Medical Card or Drivers License)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower (indoor) won't come on after crossing why and are [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I am so new to this I'm in diapers, so please forgive my ignorance. I found out by reading other topics in this forum how to check if my a/c was working, and I did get it to come on (outside) by crossing Y and R. The blower (indoor) was working only in the ON position. I couldn't get to the...

Dual status alien -- Std deduction for Indian students? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was a dual-status alien last year. I'm filing the 1040NR and submitting the 1040 as a statement. I was a resident till July and then became a non-resident. Can I claim the standard deduction for Indian students (which I am one of) on the 1040NR? Thanks

Crossing delancey [ 4 Answers ]

One of my favorite movies of all time is Crossing Delancey, It was made in 1988, and Stared Amy Irving as the shrinking violet. The film touched me in the sense I was going through the same issues Amy was going through,I watched it about at least a hundred times. I would always go to the video...

Indian tax treaty clause for H1B status ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have summarized my case below - Jan 2005 (31 days) - F1/OPT Feb 2005 through Dec 2005 - H1B I filed taxes using the 1040EZ form, where I could "not" avail of the Indian tax treaty clause. The calculation for my taxable income was:

View more questions Search