Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JamesONeal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Well pump pressure tank
    I am having problems with my pump. Most of the time when I turn the water on (flush the toilet, etc.) I hear a sort of nocking on the pipes. I believe my pump is turning on and off at a constant. My husband has replaced the box that has the voltage regulator and the capacitor in it. The capacitor was leaking. The problem persists. We think it may be the pressure tank. But how can we be sure? Right now we have a WM25-WB 87 gallon tank. Do we need a tank this large? How do we know? Is there a way to test this to find out exactly what we need? I know I am asking a lot of questions all at once but I am so scared are pump is going to go out. I can't afford that!!

Thanks so much, James and Tammy:rolleyes:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2007, 12:18 PM
    On the top of your tank, and it is oversized, you will see a air "snifter valve" to charge the bladder. To test, open it and if there's water coming out of it then replace the pressure tank because the bladder has ruptured. Good luck, Tom
    JamesONeal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 10:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    On the top of your tank, and it is oversized, you will see a air "snifter valve" to charge the bladder. To test, open it and if there's water coming out of it then replace the pressure tank because the bladder has ruptured. Good luck, Tom
    Tom,
    Thank you for the info, we did what you said and no water came out. My husband tested the pressure and there was 40 PSI. We have a 1 HP pump is my pressure tank too large for that? If so, What size do you recommend?

What else could our problem be? We bought a pressure switch 40/60 and are going to put that in tonight.

Thank you so much!!

James and Tammy
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 14, 2007, 05:25 AM
    40/60 is a good setting, though some prefer to run 30/50 to be easier on the pump.

An 87 gallon tank is big enough. If the pump is still short cycling (is it 'banging' on and off very rapidly, or just coming on and going off quickly?), then check to be sure that there are no valves between the pump and the pressure tank that may be partially closed. They should all be wide open, and should be full-port ball valves (best) or full-port gate valves. Globe valves are not as good, as they will restrict flow.

Have your husband stand near the pressure tank/switch/gauge and see what happens when you flush the toilet. Does your water surge rhythmically when you use the kitchen sink?

Of course, if none of this has changed recently, then what you've got is probably good enough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure? [ 11 Answers ]

Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions...

Bigger pressure tank or increase pressure? [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a new home and the builder had installed a 20 gal pressure tank. I have a jet pump system where the motor sits directly on the tank itself. I really notice the pump running a bit,but also notice the loss of pressure quickly, especially in the shower. Now I was thinking of buying a much...

Goldfish tank pump [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what size pump I need for a 420 litre fish tank:confused:i have had the tank for over a year and have recently moved to acreage and tank water my fish are gasping for oxygen and the filter is constantly black what can I do to help my fish

Tank Pressure vs Pump Cut Out Pressure for Well [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to increase my water system pressure to the minimum required 40 PSI to feed my reverse osmosis drinking water filter. However, the 33 gallon pressure tank for my well pump system says it is pre-charged at 30 PSI and that the cut in pressure for my pump should be set equal to that 30...

View more questions Search