Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KelStel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 10:38 AM
    How long does law allow before getting rid of belongings?
    Hi, my name is Kelly and I'm in a situation of a roommate who left stuff behind and just keeps putting it off. This roommate requested to be taking off the lease due to a career move (6 miles down the road) Anyway I won't get into that. She wanted off the lease before or on July 1st 2007, and our landlord agreed under the circumstance that she found another roommate that we agreed on she could be taken off the lease. (There are 3 of us including her). She did have to give up her security deposit. So my question is, am I legally allowed to get rid of her stuff after a certain amount of time or is she allowed to keep it here because she gave up her security deposit? It's not much, but it's enough to hold us up on stuff people are holding for us but we can't get it until she gets her stuff. Oh yeah, she was taken off the lease on June 28th, 2007 and it is now July 13th...
    Shaunta Posts: 204, Reputation: 8

Jul 13, 2007, 10:57 AM
    She Has A Certain Amount Of Time To Get Her Stuff Not Sure How Much But I Think Its 30 Days And If She Doesn't Come To Get It Then Your Allowed To Get Rid Of It
    Shaunta Posts: 204, Reputation: 8

Jul 13, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Girl You Should Watch The Court Shows... Lol
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 13, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Send her a certified letter giving her until 7/31 to get her stuff otherwise it will be disposed of.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 12:39 PM
    There is no uniform law regarding disposal of property, that is why you need to check with your local authorities as far as the law regarding this. Some states do not have a time limit and some have thirty days. If you dispose of her items and. By law, you are not allowed to, she can come back at you.

So call your local sheriff's office or police, they should know the law about this.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 13, 2007, 01:04 PM
    A place to look for guidance is your written lease. Most standard form leases have a provision for idems abandoned in the apartment. See what the lease says about it. However some leases will deem the property abandoned the minute you move out or as soon as the electricity is turned off. In which case that won't help much.

I'd write her a letter saying that if she doesn't remove her belongings by a certain date and time that they will be carried to the curb. Put them where you think the landlord would dump someone's belongings if they got evicted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-roommate's belongings: How long till I toss? [ 2 Answers ]

I share an apartment with four people. Recently we kicked one out because she lied many times and wasn't paying her rent (nor had any income). She left many things here, and for about a week refused to come get them. She called and complained until her ex (also roommate) got fed up and took...

Getting hot in here. [ 8 Answers ]

My condinser unit is not running, I've checked the breaker box, gfi, cleaned the filter,checked the fan blades to see if they were seazed up, there not, I see no leaks, As of now I've turned the cooling off and I'm running the fan, What else could it be? I've got a little back ground in hvac,...

Getting an exboyfriend to move [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend moved into my house in June of 2006. He does not pay rent, only child support every two weeks. We have not been getting along and I have asked him on several occasions to move. Do I have to evict him? He lived here in 2001 to 2003 and moved out so he still occasionally gets mail,...

Getting rid blemises? [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard that using lemon juice and cucumber will help fade my blemishes. How long do I leave it on my face and how long will it take for them to fade? Do I rub it in and leave it on over night and, how often should I do this? Please help!! :(

How long does ex have to remove belongings? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, My ex abandoned me 2 1/2 years of marriage in April 2004. I divorced her (NYS final decree in September 2005). The house was mine before the marriage and is 100% mine after the marriage. She left 2 1/2 rooms of her furniture and belongings in my house. She refuses to remove them...

View more questions Search