Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballyjames Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Roof replacement
    I have a very old tile roof that has a leak. I had a roofer come by to examine the roof and he said the entire roof needed to be replaced. The tiles that are on the roof presently are fifty years old. They have lasted this long because they are made to weather the hot sun , rain, and wind of South Florida. These roof tiles are not manufactured anymore because they last too long. My question is "Will the homeowners insurance which I have(wind,flood,property)" cover a new roof for my home.

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 13, 2007, 12:46 PM
    I doubt it. Sounds like just normal wear and tear.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 13, 2007, 02:29 PM
    If there is specific damage due to storm, hail and the such, it may pay some, but in general a roof that just wears out is not covered under insurance
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Jul 31, 2007, 02:00 AM
    My Homeowners Ins. Paid 50% of the cost to remove shingles and the purchase of new ones plus the underlay... but nothing (zero zip nadda) toward the removal/disposal of shingles or labor expense.

I had lightening strike a tree, which fell on & damaged the corner of my roof... my roof was old anyway and had some "layers" to it, so I thought while the guys were here, I'd just re-roof the whole thing. My Ins. Guy is the one that told me they would cover the above cost... otherwise I had no clue that they even did that!

I mean yes, I knew they would cover a portion... the portion damaged, but I had no idea that they would cover the rest of the undamaged roof! I suppose when you re-do all the way down to one layer... its saving them more money in the long run. I don't know the exact reasons, and I sure wasn't going to argue the point! That 50% helped out!

It NEVER hurts to ASK!! Good Luck! :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by go-ask-mom
    My Homeowners Ins. paid 50% of the cost to remove shingles and the purchase of new ones plus the underlay....but nothing (zero zip nadda) toward the removal/disposal of shingles or labor expense.

I had lightening strike a tree, which fell on & damaged the corner of my roof....my roof was old anyway and had some "layers" to it, so I thought while the guys were here, I'd just re-roof the whole thing. My Ins. guy is the one that told me they would cover the above cost...otherwise I had no clue that they even did that!

I mean yes, I knew they would cover a portion....the portion damaged, but I had no idea that they would cover the rest of the undamaged roof! I suppose when you re-do all the way down to one layer....its saving them more money in the long run. I don't know the exact reasons, and I sure wasn't going to argue the point! That 50% helped out!!

It NEVER hurts to ASK!!!! Good Luck! :)
    The only reason they covered anything was because of the damaged caused by the tree. The reason they covered as much as they did was because the purpose of insurance is to make you whole again. Since roofing shingles are interlaced, its hard to just replace a few. It may be cheaper in the long run to replace the whole roof.

This is not the same situation as the OP who's roof was just old, not damaged by a specific incident.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 01:54 PM
    They will not pay just for replacement. This is considered routine maintenance
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 08:31 AM
    I do not expect they will pay. But hey look at it on the bright side, if your roof lasted for 50 years you have done well. Especially down in FL where you are prone to extensive damages from Mother Nature.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 09:49 AM
    I would get another roofer to look at the roof. Unless many of the tiles are cracked, the roof should last another 50 years. You may just need some patching where the tile meets a wall or something. There are plenty of 100+ year old tile roofs.
    proroofsystem Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Find the bad or broken tiles and replace them. There are companies in the US that will have salvaged tiles to match your roof. There used to be one in Carrolton (a surburb of Dallas, Texas) that had about any thing you needed. I believe it was called 'Shake and Shingle'.
    Wade

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance/roof replacement [ 6 Answers ]

There was a tornado in my neighborhood 6 months ago. A roofer looked at my roof and said there is damage. He also said that my shingles are discontinued and are not being made anymore so the insurance co. Should replace the whole roof. The insurance co. said they can match any shingle as long as it...

Sun roof vs moon roof [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a moon roof and a sun roof?

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Roof replacement-tear off vs cover over [ 2 Answers ]

My original roof on my home is approx 19 years old.It probably needs to be replaced.One roofer's estimate recommends a tear off and replacement of the asphalt shingles (more expensive)the second one says that is not necessary just cover old roof with new shingles. What is best other than price...

Roof questions [ 1 Answers ]

The roofing permit is asking roof mean height? I've always used from the ground to the ridge. Miami-Dade seems to be asking something else. Anyone know what scupppers are for roofs? I'm assuming they are drains for flat (low slopes) yes no?

View more questions Search