Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxmissconfusedxx Posts: 121, Reputation: 5

Aug 13, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Hunny when you want the answer to something like this be specific on what age range you want it from
    Ex. 14-18 && 18-25 && 25-dirt

Because the older people have different views then us unger people just because they are parents they think they know everything about relationships and young people's feelings
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxmissconfusedxx
    hunny when you want the answer to something like this be specific on what age range you want it from
    ex. 14-18 && 18-25 && 25-dirt

because the older people have different views then us unger people just because they are parents they think they know everything about relationships and young people's feelings
    Just a quick FYI : Some people do specify what age range they want to answer their question, but this is a public forum and anyone is free to answer. :)

Aug 13, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Not saying that your not but I don't want to give her advise and have people yelling at me for it
    marie302 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Aug 13, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Don't think about him go out with your friends. Avoid him
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Why don't you go out with this guy to the library check out "Harry Potter".
    Read it together...
    Then tell me about it?
    :D

That's what you can do with him, no more than that okay, hunny? :)

And don't forget to tell me about the story of Harry!;)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 05:33 AM
    not saying that your not but i don't wanna give her advise and have people yelling at me for it
    Would you let your 11 year old daughter go out with a 16 year old? Alone? :mad:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 14, 2007, 06:04 AM
    hunny when you want the answer to something like this be specific on what age range you want it from
    ex. 14-18 && 18-25 && 25-dirt

because the older people have different views then us unger people just because they are parents they think they know everything about relationships and young people's feelings
    No we don't think we know everything, but we do KNOW a lot more than a little girl. You forget that we have lived through what you children are now going through. We have the benefit of experience that you just don't have. We also come at questions like this from a more realistic and secure perspective. People ask questions here because they want advice from people with experience.

not saying that your not but i don't wanna give her advise and have people yelling at me for it
    You get "yelled" at for bad advice. So try respecting and learning from your elders instead of dismissing their advice as coming from old fogeys.

One of the major problems with our society today is that children are not being allowed to be children. They are being forced to grow up WAY too soon. There bodies are developing earlier, their heads are filled with a romanticized concept of love and relationships. They are being fed false examples through movies and TV that they are being encouraged to emulate before they are emotionally and mentally ready.

An 11 year old, even in today's climate is NOT emotionally ready for a serious relationship. Such a child needs to be protected for a few years more, before they can fly on their own. The social development process needs to take time and proceed in stages. At 11 a girl should be just starting to socialize with boys but in group activities. In 2-3 years this can progress to one on one dating, but still within a peer group.

A boy of 16 at this point would be looking for a serious relationship within their own peer group. If they venture out of their peer group it is susually with exploitation in mind.

Sure a 16 yr old boy would be flattered by the adoration of an 11 yr old girl. They might even consider a brief relationship because of it. But more likely, they are thinking what will she do to get me to date her? And even if he is a gentleman, he will soon tire of the juvenile nature of the 11 yr old and she will get hurt that way.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 06:08 AM

Yeah, we have different views. Why, because we have already experienced what you are just starting to experience. Haven't you ever heard... if you knew then what you know now?

We know about young people's feelings cause we were young once too. How do you thing we got to where we are today. Do you think we were born parents? Do you think we were born older? Nope kiddo, we've walked in your shoes already.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Would you let your 11 year old daughter go out witha 16 year old?? Alone??:mad:
    Yup, she probably would.
    LIZ2007 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 01:43 PM
    I'm so surprised how this 11 year old girl is asking if she should date this guy... my little sister is 11 and she loves to go to build a bear,playing with her Bratz dolls and she has never even talked about boys... she's often saying how girls her age are kissing guys at school... this generation is making me sick... honestly truly sick... all these kids are growing super fast... not even when I was 11 I didn't even know what sex was... I had my first kiss at 16

Aug 16, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Would you let your 11 year old daughter go out witha 16 year old?? Alone??:mad:
    Yes I would because there is this thing called trust and I'd have it

Aug 16, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Yup, she probably would.
    What is that supposed to mean

I'll do anything to be my daughters best friend I do not want to the mother that is hated by her children and if that means I have to let my dughter go out with a 16 yr old then I would have to have her word that she would not sleep with him
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 08:12 AM
    yes i would because their is this thing called trust and i'd have it
    The trust issue wouldn't be with your 11 year old daughter, it would be with the 16 year old she would be wanting to date. We can always trust our kids to some extent, but its hard to trust others, especially when we do not know them.

I know you think you would let your 11 year old daughter date a 16 year old now, but when you actually experience raising kids I can almost guarantee you will change your mind. :)

Aug 16, 2007, 08:15 AM
    I guarantee I won't because when I was eleven I hated my mother for not letting me do what I wanted to do and I'm not going to make my daughter go through that
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 08:18 AM
    i gaurentee i wont because when i was eleven i hated my mother for not letting me do what i wanted to do and i'm not going to make my daughter go through that
    You can be her friend and still set boundaries. If you let her do whatever she wants she could run all over you, do drugs, have sex, get pregnant or even worse, end up in a situation she doesn't want to be in. Kids have to have limits.

Aug 16, 2007, 08:25 AM
    What is that supposed to mean

I'll do anything to be my daughters bestfriend i do not want to the mother that is hated by her children and if that means i have to let my dughter go out with a 16 yr old then i would have to have her word that she would not sleep with him
    i gaurentee i wont because when i was eleven i hated my mother for not letting me do what i wanted to do and i'm not going to make my daughter go through that
    Well it appears you haven't grown up much if you that's how you feel. ALL 11 year olds go through hating their parents for putting restrictions on them. Invariably, when these 11 yr olds grow up, they realize how much their parents loved them by sticking to their guns and protecting their children even when it may have alienated them. You can try to be your child's "best friend", but not at the expense of their safety. Children will never admit it, but they need restrictions, they need limits, otherwise they don't learn.

You WILL change your tune when you actually have grown up and do have an 11 yr old.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Children will never admit it, but they need restrictions, they need limits, otherwise they don't learn.
    Exactly! LOL, I have never hated my family. They are always reasonable, knowledgeable,well educated and understanding. Just like you Scott.:)
    Lez Posts: 73, Reputation: 7

Aug 16, 2007, 08:31 AM
    I think you need to look at the age difference where he is 16 he is going to be wanting to do more stuff that you may not be able to do at your age 2 years time he is going to be able to go out drinking and getting out there if you know what I mean. While you will be 13 and not going to be able to do these things personaly I can't see that it would work. But as everyone does they have there opinions and this is how I see it. I think you would end up being hurt in the long run. But don't throw the friendship away because if you both truly like each other this way then I'm sure that time will tell if its meant to be. X

Aug 16, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    you actually have grown up
    Who the heck are you to tell me I haven't grown up?

Aug 16, 2007, 10:17 AM
    who the heck are you to tell me i haven't grown up?
    You just don't get it, do you. I can and will tell you whatever I can justify based on what YOU post. When you post things that reflect immaturity (as you have), then I can and will point them out. I am someone who has experienced life, who has observed human nature and behavior and has spent a significant amount of time on sites like this. That experience and the knowledge gained as part of it, give me the right to make such comments. But even more YOUR actions give me that right. Someone who has grown up would KNOW that its more important to protect your children then to be their friend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm in love with a 14 year old and I am 19, can we date without getting in trouble? [ 76 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my friend are deeply in love with each other! And what I want to know is, is it OK for me to date her without getting in trouble. If there isn't no sexual inter actions with each other. I'm 19 and she's 14. I would appreciate the help !

Is it legal for a 25 year old and a 16 year old to date in pa [ 59 Answers ]

:confused:is it legal for a 25 year old and a 16 year old to date in pa and if not why

I think I'm in love after the first date.hope I don't mess up by being clingy! [ 3 Answers ]

I've had my ups and downs with dating since recovering from a break-up from a long-term relationship about a year ago. I recently met a beautiful and smart "nice girl" through a friend and we totally hit it off on our first official date last night. Compared to the bar trash I've been hooking up...

Do believe you can be in love with someone without wanting to date them? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a guy and I have a friend who I have known for a few years. Her and I are pretty close and recently she has been there for me at times where I was down and it felt good. More recently I have thought about her a lot more often than usual and I worry about things for her that normally come in...

View more questions Search