Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bnesmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Parents Divorcing & my little sister is in the mix.
    My name is Britney NeSmith and I am a 20 year old college JR. I am the oldest I have a brother who is 17 and a little sister who is only 11. Recently my brother left home and now lives with some family friends. This change in our lives was very hard on us all but mostly on my Mom. While gogin through this I gues my mom realized her unhappinest with my father who I love dearly. I'm pretty sure that they are going to get a divorce because they have spoken to us about it. I want to make sure that my little sister will be OK (shes heart broken). Neither my mom or dad have ever caused us any strife or danger and I am not worried about her physical safety but Im just not sure that staying with either of them for a while is a good ieda. I would be 100% willing to keep her with me in Denton where I go to school, but this is about 45min to an hour away from my sisters school and driving back and forth everyday is not very praticle. Not to mention she has already voiced that she really wants to go to her school. She is starting middle school this year which is hard all on its own now a days. I do believe that more change (ie friends etc.) is not in her best interest. I caould relocate and go to a community collge closer to home but Im not sure if this wold br in our best interest for the future. I don't know what to do. I have 2 jobs that make me pretty good money and I could make ends meet for us but Im not sure if this is what I should try and do. Its just bad enough that she has to go through this but choosing who to live with is something that I don't want her to go through AT ALL (she is the only one that still lives at home).
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 09:48 AM
    I'm very sorry your family is going through this. Don't blame yourself or your brother for your parents' problems. Your concern for your sister is admirable and legitimate. I agree that the less uprooting she has to experience, the better. Also, understand that you are not the one primarily responsible for your sister's care. That's your parents' job more so than yours. You can certainly pitch in and help out but don't neglect yourself or your studies as a result. Ultimately the courts will have to decide on the issues of custody and visitation where your sister's concerned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is divorcing over $$ discrepancy worthy? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 15 years and we have a wonderful 12 year old daughter. Our marriage is solid and we love each other very much. But I made an unforgivable mistake. For four years now I have had several credit cards in my name that my husband was unaware of. I even had them...

Divorcing abroad [ 1 Answers ]

Problem: Married a Turkish girl in England. We moved to Turkey. After one year we separated. We have now been separated for 3 years. I met someone else and want to remarry. My current wife says she will divorce me one minute then say she will not the next. I want to move on with my life. Is there a...

Divorcing an Immigrant in Callifornia [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfreind will be here soon from Thailand on a fiancé visa and she has no money and I have a good amount of money. My question is, if we do marry without a prenup and we get a divorce with in a couple of years, will I have to give her half? We are located in California by the way.

Divorcing an absent spouce [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I separated in 1998. We have a legal separation agreement. I have since lost all contact with him and his family and I want to get a divorce. I have tried to search him out online with no success. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Visitation/adoption of brother & sister [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 23, married and a mother of 4. I have a brother and sister ( we share the same father) and want to know what my rights are for visitation/ custody of them. My father married a socialpath ( not their mother) and she has been maliciously tearing our family apart. The children are treated...

View more questions Search