Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Timrob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2005, 05:36 PM
    Shower Drains Slow/bad smell
    I just remodeled my bathroom. I removed the tub/shower and installed a new shower stall only. The new plumbing is built like this: I removed the tub drain and over-flow pipe just above the p-trap and attached a new 24 inch, 2 inch diameter ABS pipe just above the old p-trap, using an elbow. This extra 24 inches is horizontal and the drain end (from the center of the shower pan) is one inch higher to facilitate the flow. Once the drain was installed I tested it with 3 gallons of water and it drained just fine. So the water now flows through an extra 24 inches of 2 inch pipe with a one inch grade and 2-90 degree elbows to reach the old p-trap. (old p-trap and beyond is all 2 inch ABS) Now, 2 weeks after completion,the drain is draining very slow and a bad smell is coming from the drain too. Did I do something wrong? Thanks, Rob
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Timrob
    I just remodeled my bathroom. I removed the tub/shower and installed a new shower stall only. The new plumbing is built like this: I removed the tub drain and over-flow pipe just above the p-trap and attached a new 24 inch, 2 inch diameter ABS pipe just above the old p-trap, using an elbow. This extra 24 inches is horizontal and the drain end (from the center of the shower pan) is one inch higher to facilitate the flow. Once the drain was installed I tested it with 3 gallons of water and it drained just fine. So the water now flows through an extra 24 inches of 2 inch pipe with a one inch grade and 2-90 degree elbows to reach the old p-trap. (old p-trap and beyond is all 2 inch ABS) Now, 2 weeks after completion,the drain is draining very slow and a bad smell is coming from the drain too. Did I do something wrong? Thanks, Rob

Hi Tim, Sounds like you installed a dogleg, offset) and now your paying the price. ( See the thread," What in Heck do I Have Here") Tip: You gave the lateral pipe too much slope. 1/4" to the foot is normal,( you may drop to 1/8" if things are tight). Too little slope and it won't drain, too much slope and the water flows so fast it drops solids to form a clog. Rotting hair and grease from the soap are the major causes of shower odor. Try this. Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2 gallon of bleach down the shower drain and let it set overnight. Next morning flush it down with a few large pans of boiling water. The bleach will start to dissolve and soften the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the mess out into the main. Now see if that smelly drain doesn't smell sweeter? Elbos, sharp turns and incorrect slope are the major causes of drain problems.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Drains slow [ 24 Answers ]

A few days ago my toilet started draining slow. When I flush, the toilet fills up, and then slowly drains. To get solid matter to go down I have to flush 3-5 times. I first tried a plunger, which did not work. I then tried a closet auger, which did not work. So, I disconnected the toilet and...

Toilet drains slow due to cleanout? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have got an issue with a toilet that is draining slow. It seems to have started after I capped a cleanout access upline to the toilet. Is this possilbe? I haven't tried to uncap the access, but there is a vent between the cap and the toilet drain. It is a new toilet, and before I...

New Bathroom, But Tub Drains Slow [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, all. Glad to have found this place as I sure need some answers and help! My wife and I decided the old bathroom needed to be renovated. It was about 20 years old and showed it. The old bathroom was a 3/4 unit, with a toilet and shower stall only, no bathtub. We opted to have the it...

Bathtub drains slow or not at all [ 9 Answers ]

My bathtub has been slow, very slow, on and off for years. Sometimes drain cleaner helps but most times it doesn't. We actually keep a plunger in the bathroom and my daughter now showers on a step stool! After furiously plunging for hours today I finally searched for the source. I found a drum trap...

Toilet Drains Slow in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Please help. My toilet in the basement will not flush if a moderate amount of water has been used. Example is if me and my significant both take a shower and I do a load of laundry the toilet will not flush. It fills to the rim and then slowly drains. I have had the sewer line cleaned out to...

View more questions Search