Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timd157 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Replacement battery pack
    Please can you advise me what I need to solve this problem:
    I have a Racal Dust filter mask I use in my woodturning. It is a simple motor in a mask that blows a stream of fresh air through a filter. The product is no longer made but is still very serviceable but the rechargeable battery pack needs replacing.
    The only information I have is as follows:
    Racal product. Charger Input 240v 50 Hz Output 4.2v 230mA .96VA
    The battery pack contains 3 X 5/4 Nicad rechargeable batteries of a size no longer obtainable ( my local branch Maplin's has searched for me) and it ran for 4 hrs.

There was an 8 hour offboard rechargeable battery pack available once, which had 3X 1/2D Nicad cells.

I want to make an 8 hour rechargeable battery pack connected by a lead to the mask which contains the motor. The connections are not a problem, I can change them as needed. Can I use the same charger?

Hope you can help. My local Maplins said they thought they could but were too busy when I went there.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 05:36 AM
    The critical issue with a battery or pack is what the ampere-hour is rated. First, the voltage rating of a charger needs to be approximately 10% high than the voltage rating of the battery. Any charger of the proper voltage will charge a battery, however, the amp output of the charger , if too small, will take a longer time to charge the battery.

I found that the cell you have produces 2600 milli-Ampere-hour, and using a charger with 230 mA output it will take over 13 hours to charge the battery. If you can get a 500 mA charger, for example, the battery will charge in 6 hours.

So, the charger you have will charge the battery pack, but at the sacrifice of time.
    timd157 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timd157
    Please can you advise me what I need to solve this problem:
    I have a Racal Dust filter mask I use in my woodturning. It is a simple motor in a mask that blows a stream of fresh air through a filter. The product is no longer made but is still very serviceable but the rechargeable battery pack needs replacing.
    The only information I have is as follows:
    Racal product. Charger Input 240v 50 Hz Output 4.2v 230mA .96VA
    The battery pack contains 3 X 5/4 Nicad rechargeable batteries of a size no longer obtainable ( my local branch Maplin's has searched for me) and it ran for 4 hrs.

There was an 8 hour offboard rechargeable battery pack available once, which had 3X 1/2D Nicad cells.

I want to make an 8 hour rechargeable battery pack connected by a lead to the mask which contains the motor. The connections are not a problem, I can change them as needed. Can I use the same charger?

Hope you can help. My local Maplins said they thought they could but were too busy when I went there.
    Thanks TKrussel for that
    But what do I need to make an 8 hour rechargeable battery pack?
    What sort of batteries and how many? Do I join them in series or parallel?
    TimD
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 02:56 PM
    What voltage and amperage do you need?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 03:23 PM
    ''which had 3X 1/2D Nicad cells.'' Bet if you can find the specs for 1/2 D cells they are electrically close to a C cell. Should be easy enough to find 3 of them and connect them up in series. Your charger should take twice as long to charge an 8 hour pack as a 4 hour one.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Any amount of batteries, so long as it is 3.6 volts, or 3 cells. 1.2 volt per cell X 3.
    You can do series and parallell, to increase capacity.

Would something like this work:
    Sharp CL250 3.6 Volt NiCad Cordless Phone Battery at Lowcostbatteries.com
    Like above, make sure charger can handle increased capacity.
    What are physical dimensions of batteries?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does it take to get Six Pack Abs? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 15, 5'9 and 160 pounds... I work out everyday and no matter what I do you can never see my abs... when I feel my stomach or look at it in the mirror while I have an empty stomach I can feel my six pack... I work it out so hard I get so mad that people barely try and can have a six pack that...

Service pack 2 of XP [ 1 Answers ]

Can I load safely service pack 2 over win xp?

Service pack 2 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I currently have Service pack 1 and want to go to Service pack 2 but don't know how. Could someone please tell me how? Thanks

What to pack for the hospital [ 7 Answers ]

I just thought I might ask if I have remembered everything to take to the hospital. I made a list and if anyone can add to it I would love the help. Ok so here it goes... copy and paste... Going home outfit for me Shampoo/conditioner Toothbrush/toothpaste Hair brush Hair ties/clippies Bar...

View more questions Search