Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dan Punch Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2005, 04:07 AM
    Computer won't boot
    I have recently been building a new system and finally purchased the cpu a few days ago. At first when I put everything together and booted it up all I got was a blank screen and the hard drive light constantly on as well as all fans spinning. So I took out the lithium battery to reset cmos and it booted up fine. However when I came to install windows I was getting several error messages, some saying Driver_irql_not_or_less_or_equal and some saying this program has performed an illegal operation and will close. Eventually I managed to get an operating system installed and it worked fine up until yesterday when I left on the computer for around 1 hour. When I came back I noticed there was no signal to the monitor and when I restarted I got nothing just blank screen and fans spinning. Can anyone help me?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Daniel
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 12, 2005, 02:19 PM
    Try Safe Mode
    What is your OS? Try boot'n in safe mode and check your display settings. Also, I would look for homeless hardware in the Device Managers "Other Device" folder.

Good Luck.

P2E

Jul 12, 2005, 02:25 PM
    PC won't boot
    My operating system that is currently installed is windows 98 and there is no way to enter anything on the computer as there is no signal to the monitor and the only thing I am able to do on the system is to turn the power off
    Thanks for the help anyway :)
    Daniel

Jul 12, 2005, 03:10 PM
    Any Beeps?
    Very important - any beeps at boot time? If so, post your results. For grins, try pressing F8 while booting up. If nothing try the F1 key. If nothing try the ESC key. Finally, try the DEL key - during bootup.

Also, you will need to determine if you have a faulty video monitor or display controller... If you can, obtain grab a run of the mill (basic, generic) display controller card a/o monitor to determine what which one of the 2 is not working.

Depending on yoiur locale & interest, I can send/sell you a display controller a/o monitor. Alternately, you should consider contacting the technical support folks where your bought the suspect hardware...

Good Luck

P2E.

Jul 13, 2005, 01:16 AM
    No Beeps
    When the system starts up there are no beeps what so ever, even when there is no ram inserted I still get no error messages. I have already tried another graphics card in the AGP slot but still got the same outcome, I've even tried re wiring the system just to make sure no leads were reversed or anything stupid but it still doesn't work :confused:
    Thanks again for your help
    Daniel

Jul 13, 2005, 03:02 AM
    Back to Basics
    Where applicable, I suggest you remove all extra peripheral hardware, such as modem, opt video card, sound card, NIC, FDD, CD/DVD, extra SRAM, etc. This will check to see if anything is loading down the bus. Reconnect the FDD a/o CD ribbon and try to boot from floopy, CD, ERD from any OS/system - this will check out your drives. When you 1st boot-up, hold any keys down on the keyboard to check your BIOS.

Of couse, make sure you are ground straped to the chasis. Verifiy all cable connections are fully seated and properly installed (pin1, red strip), check power supply fuse(s) - check motherboard LEDs a/o measure power supply voltages (+5, -5, 12V). Check all fans.

P2E

Jul 13, 2005, 03:27 AM
    Back to basics
    I have tried removing all drives inc hdd and still nothing, I will try the power supply and all else I can think of

Thanks for the help
    Daniel

Jul 13, 2005, 04:45 AM
    Almost tried everything
    I have removed all disc drives again as well as g-card and still no response all 3 lights on the keyboard light up but pressing the keys does nothing. When the power button is pressed and the fans begin to spin after a while the heat sink of the cpu becomes slightly warm and increasing slightly the more you leave it on. I have been told this is a good sign as it shows that the cpu is working and is trying to process information. I don't know if this is true but I hope it is as this narrows my list down to a few things. But as of now the system is still useless and still the only thing I can do is turn it on and off
    Thanks again
    Daniel
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2005, 04:52 AM
    From the sounds of it, the PSU is probably what's causing the problem. Hopefully it was just a bad PSU. It's a little weird that it worked, then didn't, then worked some more, then didn't. Power supplies tend to either work or not. At first I was thinking that maybe something got wired up wrong but I couldn't think of any backwards wiring that would cause this trouble. Anyway, you said you rewired the system so that's that covered.

Hope you saved all the reciepts etc. because you should get a refund if what was sold to you was faulty.

Jul 13, 2005, 06:11 AM
    Power supply
    I am currently only running a 280w psu, could that be the problem, the psu is struggling with the system
    Thanks for the help
    Daniel

Jul 13, 2005, 07:54 AM
    Verify the PC PowerSupply
    Dan,

Motherboards often have LEDs to indicate the voltages are OK. Check your manual for details...

Even though you are likely underpowered with 280W, the system should definitely boot, especially with your non-critical hardware (load) removed.

If no LEDs are available, get a (VDC) meter and measure the supply terminals under load and no load conditions.
    org = 3.3v
    red = 5v
    yel = 12v
    blk = gnd

ref url re: computing power requirements...
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...85,pg,2,00.asp

Good Luck..

P2E
    answermelater Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 09:20 AM
    It might be the ram
    Take your computer apart and take out all the ram.
    Put it back in and see if it works

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My computer won't dual boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my computer not dual booting. I had windows xp installed and then I installed unbuntu linux. I don't know what went wrong but know when I start my computer it will go dirrectly and boot in linux. It won't give an option to choose windows or linux. I did not reformat...

HELP! My computer won't boot! [ 3 Answers ]

My computer got extreamly messed up... virus' spyware and such.. I got most of it off or what I knew was there.. except for one virse cssrs.exe and I tried to reboot to finish... and it just kept going in a cycle of 3 screens.. so I turned it off.. and now it won't turn back on. The cpu's lights...

Computer won't boot, but power light blinks [ 11 Answers ]

So I have this computer. It worked just fine for a while. But now it starts up, boots up into Windows just fine. After about 2 minutes or so, the computer will just randomly turn off. The power light will start blinking, constantly, once a second or so. I hit the power button, nothing happens. I...

Pc won't boot normally [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there! I have a problem with my PC,this is what goes on,after pressing the turn on switch the PC goes through the POST check then after identifiyng the drives it stops and does nothing,HELP!!

Windows xp won't load/boot [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my windows xp boot. When I try to boot windows I get the screen that says: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file. I would appreciate all your help. ...

View more questions Search