Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mysasa76 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Eviction Time Frame
    I live in San Francisco CA, I've been living in the same house for 27 years and the last 2 years I've been paying rent to the new owner. However the last 4 months I've been only able to pay partial rent due to my 62 yr old mother who's been sick. I've expressed to the landlord that we can't make the rent since Jan 07 and she was OK with me paying the partial rent. She has now said she wants me out within the week. Do I have rights to ask for at least a 30 day or at least a 2 week notice?
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Are you under any type of lease? I would check in to the CA law - but I always thought you would get 30 days.

Jul 12, 2007, 10:03 AM
    I'm on a month to month lease.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Hello my:

Then she has to give you 30 days.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 10:44 AM
    When was the last time you paid rent? Did you pay at the beginning of the month? If she is evicting you on the basis of non-payment - she would have to file with the courts and you would get an eviction notice. If she is just asking you to move - then typically she would have to give you a 30 day written notice.
    I am still researching CA. Law - will let you know what I find.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2007, 11:03 AM
    At the most, she has to give you notice of at least 1 rental period (calendar month) if she wants to terminate the lease. However, since you are in arrears on your rent, she may be able to give you a shorter notice. However, you don't have to listen. She can tell you to get out tomorrow. But if you refuse, she then has to go through formal eviction proceedings, which will give you time to find another place or the money to bring your rent up to date.

Jul 12, 2007, 11:38 AM
    I usually pay the landlord the 15th of every month. The last time I submitted partial payment was June 15th. She's basically telling me to pay in FULL this 15th or be out by the 20th of this month. So I'm assuming she's evicting me on the basis of not being able to pay.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Everything I have read says that a formal written notice would have to be given. Now if she takes the partial rent - she will have a hard time evicting you for non-payment. That is probably why she is telling you ahead of time that she is expecting full payment.
    But, again, everything that I have found so far says that everything should be in writing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Again, she can TELL you anything she wants, but she can't force you to move without a court order. Your lease (even if its month to month) specifies a certain rental. While she might have carried you for a couple of months, she has decided she no longer can. So you either need to pay the full rental by Sunday or start looking for a place to move to. If you do not pay the full rental, then she will have to start eviction proceedings if you tell her you are not moving or are not out by the 20th.

But she can't just throw you out. She has to go through the formal process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renewal of Lease Time Frame [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Cali-a-fornia and I was wondering, how long of a lead time does a apartment complex have to give you before they raise the rent. Our current apartment complex gave us a notice that we had to reply within 7 days with an answer. At past residences, I had always been given 30+ days notice....

VIrginia eviction law and process time [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I live in southwest virginia and I am in a situation where my landlord will not repair anything in my home and I am tired of it. I thought about just not paying rent and saving it up for a couple months so I can afford to rent a new place. I am concerned though as to how long it...

Eviction time span help [ 1 Answers ]

I have looked all over but can not find the answer I need. My daughter and her family are unable to make this next months rent and I am sure that the landlord is going to start eviction proceedings as soon as she is able. I need to know what the time span (approx) will be before she has to leave...

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

Time frame for oppostion [ 2 Answers ]

What is the time frame for filing an opposition to a vacate judgement of divorce settlement? You say, "Get a lawyer", but my daughter's attorney is obviously working for her ex instead of her. The bankruptcy attorney that represents her told her that her family attorney was supposed to have filed...

View more questions Search