Ask
    Bittu Ambhore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Theory of Relativity
    What is Relativity?
    vball43 Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Jul 12, 2007, 07:49 AM
    1.the state or fact of being relative.
    2. Physics. A theory, formulated essentially by Albert Einstein, that all motion must be defined relative to a frame of reference and that space and time are relative, rather than absolute concepts: it consists of two principal parts. The theory dealing with uniform motion (special theory of relativity or special relativity) is based on the two postulates that physical laws have the same mathematical form when expressed in any inertial system, and the velocity of light is independent of the motion of its source and will have the same value when measured by observers moving with constant velocity with respect to each other. Derivable from these postulates are the conclusions that there can be no motion at a speed greater than that of light in a vacuum, mass increases as velocity increases, mass and energy are equivalent, and time is dependent on the relative motion of an observer measuring the time. The theory dealing with gravity (general theory of relativity or general relativity) is based on the postulate that the local effects of a gravitational field and of acceleration of an inertial system are identical.
    3. dependence of a mental state or process upon the nature of the human mind: relativity of values; relativity of knowledge.

Dictionary.com
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 08:02 AM
    I'm going to get this moved to physics, it is a scientific theory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relativity when it comes to God? [ 10 Answers ]

Maybe I will just sound ignorant in asking these things and show just how uneducated I am but how does relativity play into God? One way. One truth. One life. This is what I hear but then people start talking about something like music or churches or anything really and they say well this song is...

Relativity and suchlike [ 3 Answers ]

The attraction between two objects due to gravity is given by: a = (m1+m2)/d^2 Mass changes with velocity, such that: as v approaches c, m approaches infinity. So, with a sufficiently distant object, a gravitational force acting on an object of mass m in a vacuum, the object will...

Physics-special relativity [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a physics problem that I haven't been able to solve Help! A rocketship, travelling away from earth with a speed of 0.8c sends regular radio signals which are received on Earth every 45.2 min. According to the rocketship astronauts, how frequently are the signals being sent? :confused:

Theoretical experiment on relativity [ 1 Answers ]

Consider a train , its proper length = 375000 km , traveling at a speed of 180000 km/sec (0.6 of speed of light) relative to person (name him B) Consider a beam of light that travels in the same direction of the train The train traveler (name him A) will measure the train length = 375000 km...

Bohr theory vs modern theory [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone explain the differences between the bohr and the modern atomic theories in the description of the electron Thanks :p

View more questions Search