Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desireeh7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Yelling /to confrontational
    I'v worked at this job for a month now.. and I'm still learning the ends and outs which seems to be the case but in most situations my supervisor is yelling at me for the smallest of mistakes I'v been polite feeling that this goes with the terriority of being the new kid on the block but I'm becoming resentful... what can I do in a assertive way but still keep my job.
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

Jul 11, 2007, 10:21 PM
    This is not a good situation. You are being abused - no one has the right to yell at you - at anytime - anywhere. What this person is doing is abusing their authority. Trust me, this is NOT the right person to work for if he or she is yelling at you. This does not go with the territory as you say - a supervisor is there to provide guidance and support - not to mistreat people.

You will know a good supervisor from a bad one because of what they do. And this is a classic example of someone who doesn't know why they are in charge. A good supervisor has to be a role model for others to follow and he or she will want to explain and direct you because companies need well trained employees to make their company successful. A good supervisor also knows that to motivate people he or she has to be approachable to their employees. And yelling is one sure way to get people to stay away. What a shame this person is - not just to you but to the company.

Of course you will be resentful, your feelings are being hurt. You need to find another job. Take care.
    Pook_Myster Posts: 117, Reputation: 38

Jul 11, 2007, 10:44 PM
    I suggest that you need to stand up for yourself in an assertive, yet non-confrontational manner. If you feel that your supervisors behaviour is unnecessary, and it is making your uncomfortable, you could try, next time he or she starts yelling, to calmly try to explain yourself, ensuring that you keep the tone of your voice very neutral - if he / she detects sarcasm or anger it may fuel the situation to higher levels, and the aim is to defuse the situation.

If that fails, and they continue to yell at you, and you still feel that it is unwaranted, then you need to speak with management, who may suggest mediation or a group therapy session... your boss may have anger management issues! Lol...

It in nether professional, nor acceptable for a person in a position of power to use that power to make others feel uncomfortable - it is a form of harassment, and workplace harassment is illegal. The thing with harassment is - it is in the eye of the beholder. Ie: if you feel harassed, then it is harassment, and it is necessary for management to deal with the situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shouting/Crying/Yelling in sleep [ 14 Answers ]

Just a question... Ever since I can remember, any one who has ever shared a room or house with me has often told me that I shout out, cry, argue, swear etc in my sleep. This can sometimes be phsycial too as I sometimes wake myself up if I kick the wall etc... I've always thought that this only...

View more questions Search