Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jim jam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2005, 04:33 PM
    What should I do?
    Hi I am going into the 11 grade and a few of my friends are telling me that I should try for the SR. B-ball team. But there are lots of people who are going to be on the SR. high team that I really hate. I am thinking that I would have a lot more fun on the JV team, because all the players who are on JV team are my friends. What should I do? I am 16 years old. I am 6.3" 180lbs. I am very strong on defence, and good at getting rebounds. I am also strong driving to the hoop,and making quick decisions. I am quick and have average stamina. I can't shoot threes, but any were in side the three I am a little above average for shooting. When I jump, I can touch the backboard, but not the rim. I am open for suggestions on what I should do.
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jul 11, 2005, 07:20 PM
    To Jim Jam
    I have pasted your question into my word processor and I am working on your response. It may take a day or so, but be patient.

Oldcoach
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jul 13, 2005, 04:52 PM
    Jim Jam
    You Said:
    Hi, I am going into the 11 grade and a few of my friends are telling me that I should try for the SR. B-ball team. However, many people are going to be on the SR. high team that I really hate.

I Said:
    Your friends recognize that you have the talent to “play up”. They are telling you to go for it. If you play down you will be missing at least two very important opportunities. First, you will be missing an opportunity to learn to work with people you may dislike and build better relationships with them. At the very least, you will gain an understanding of how they think and how to deal with them for a better team. That will help you in life as well as higher levels of sports, like college. If needed, I can help you deal with the adversity. Second, you will miss the opportunity to improve your own skills and experience to a higher level. Do not let the other people that you dislike ruin your opportunity for growth. Think about it. They are standing in your way by making it difficult for you to decide. If you have the skills, use them and do not be afraid of a little adversity. Play hard and practice harder and smarter. Your friends already know you can do it. As for the people you dislike, Take to ‘em baby.

You Said:
    I am thinking that I would have a lot more fun on the JV team, because all the players who are on JV team are my friends. What should I do?

I Said:
    The JV guys will still be your friends no matter which team you play on. They want you to play up. You will see them next season. Think of it this way, you play this coming season on the Sr. team. Then the next season many of your JV friends will also play up and you can help them more, because you have been there for a season. You can blaze the trail for them. They will really appreciate your help. Also, talk to the coaches. You may be able to try out for the Senior Team and still have an opportunity to play on the JV Team if you do not make it.

You Said:
    I am 16 years old, 6’- 3", and 180lbs. I am very strong on defense and good at getting rebounds. I am also strong driving to the hoop and making quick decisions. I am quick, but I have average stamina.

I Said:
    You are in the top 95% of your age group for height and you have a decent amount of weight on you. You will definitely need work on your stamina. If you do not know any good ways to improve your stamina and your coach will not help, I can help you there. Just ask. The talents that you speak of describe a good small forward or possibly a shooting guard if you improve your outside shooting to 60 or70%. I would not suggest that you play big forward, because as you move up to college, you will be too short for the position on a Division 1 team. On the other hand, Division 1 coaches love tall guards. Good defense is necessary for any player and rebounding with the ability to drive to the hoop is a plus for a shooting guard. So, work on that outside shot. Quick decisions will be a definite plus for you and your team, but do not become complacent with the skills you have. Improve them every year, because if you stay the same others will pass you.

You Said:
    I cannot shoot three pointers, but anywhere inside the three-point line, I am a little above average.

I Said:
    Again, work on that outside shooting. Shooting guards needs to be deadly out there. Also, if a small forward can shoot the three-pointer and drive to the hoop the defender cannot play off to stop a drive, because you’ll shoot over him.

You Said:
    When I jump, I can touch the backboard, but not the rim.

I Said:
    At your height, you are about 26 inches below the rim if you reach up for it. Add 8 inches more so that you can dunk the ball and you need a 34” vertical jump. Your vertical is probably around 18”- 20”. That definitely needs improvement. A good Plyometrics routine can work wonders to help accomplish that goal. If your coach cannot help you, I can.

You Said:
    I am open for suggestions on what I should do.

I Said:
    An open mind is ready to learn and improve. You have that. All you need is the desire to work as hard as it takes to reach your goals. Are you willing? Think about it and reply with more questions if you are ready to work your butt off.

Sincerely,
    Oldcoach
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jul 13, 2005, 06:35 PM
    Not much to add
    Quote Originally Posted by jim jam
    hi i am going into the 11 grade and a few of my friends are telling me that i should try for the SR. B-ball team. but there are lots of people who are going to be on the SR. high team that i really hate. .
    The only thing I would like to add to oldcoaches great advice is you might as well learn how to get along with people you do not like. Life is going to be full of them. Why let a few kids you don't get along with determine your future? You might end up being best buddies by the time the season is over and you might realize the things you don't like about them will not matter anymore. I would personally tell you to go for it or you might regret it in the end. You might have just as much fun on the senior team. Trust me (and oldcoach).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search