Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eihab Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2003, 09:32 AM
    Networking
    Describe how you would go about setting up a "star" networkof 5 machines and discuss what would be better and why having one machine as a file server or no file server.
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2003, 09:15 PM
    Re: networking
    eihab, hi, seting up a stand-alone star network topology is easy. For a 5-node computer network, and for ease of expanding the network later should you want to, an 8-port hub connected with UTP ETHERNET CAT 5 cables is suficient. All hub nowadays should have an up-link port, which will allow you to connect to another hub or switch later on. And no, in this type of network, you don't need a file server computer , although having one would increase the network's "intelligence". A file server is best deployed when you have at least 2 networks, and thus, 2 collision domains, in order to justify buying special RAID equipments, devices and network softwares.

However, if you are talking about optimizing a star network so that it will sit on a backbone cable using RG-11 coaxial cable and other devices such as repeaters, switches, routers, and so forth, then you are talking about another type of network design that is a lot more sophisticated altogether, depending on your environment or company's needs. For example, you would have to take into consideration of the following at the start of your design in order to be cost-effective and network-efficient:

(1) Failure redundancy and partitioning
    (2) Hybrid topology of bus, star, ring, and/or fully connected networks.
    (3) Types of cables to use, whether you want to use the old 10base2 or 10base5, or go with 100baseTX or 100baseFL fiber optic.
    (4) Keeping in mind the limitations of the your network design with cable standards and rules, such as the 5-4-3 cable connection length rule. and so.

So, if I understood your question right, setting up a star network by itself is nothing to worry about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About Project in Networking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am really very much interested in Computer Networks, Currrently I am in 6th semester of B.E. Computer Engineering along with it I am pursuing MCSE course. I want to take a project in Networking in my college, so please suggest me what kind of project should I choose. Thank you

Networking [ 2 Answers ]

How to connct two PC without any hub? And I don't want to make a server because if I want to use the other I need to make the other PC on. Is there any other solution? And I'm having only one modem.

Networking [ 5 Answers ]

I have alaptop connected to my desktop with a ethernet cable. The destop can access files from the laptop but no traffic the other way. I have now connected the laptop to another desktop and it works fine both ways. I have tried lots of things like taking off all firewalls, permisions etc. The...

Networking [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Kindly tell about networking, I want to connect sevens PCS with anothers through IPs. One of them is server with windows 2000 family server, switch and remaining six are clients.

Networking [ 5 Answers ]

I want to setup a small home network with only three computers connected to a router and still have the internet on all 3 computers

View more questions Search