Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oct18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Odor in Home - Paint?
    We moved into our home a little over a year ago and can't determine a smell. When we moved in we had the walls painted and thought the smell was from the paint. We only notice it when we have been away from the house for a few days. The smell is not musty or bad - it's just a strong smell. It doesn't smell like an animal or a pet smell. It smells almost like a chemical smell, I can't explain it.

I have sniffed everything and it seems to be coming from the walls, mostly on the first floor in the living room. Can a paint smell last over a year? We had the house re-sided, all the electrical done - what else can it be? We also had a mold test done. It's driving me crazy because I am very sensitive to smells and it makes my asthma flare initially after being away. We don't have wall to wall carpet and I don't remember this smell in our other home. We didn't have the floors done ourselves but the hardwood appears to have been re-finished not too long ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
    danawanaii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by oct18
    We moved into our home a little over a year ago and can't determine a smell. When we moved in we had the walls painted and thought the smell was from the paint. We only notice it when we have been away from the house for a few days. The smell is not musty or bad - it's just a strong smell. It doesn't smell like an animal or a pet smell. It smells almost like a chemical smell, I can't explain it.

I have sniffed everything and it seems to be coming from the walls, mostly on the first floor in the living room. Can a paint smell last over a year? We had the house re-sided, all the electrical done - what else can it be? We also had a mold test done. It's driving me crazy because I am very sensitive to smells and it makes my asthma flare initially after being away. We don't have wall to wall carpet and I don't remember this smell in our other home. We didn't have the floors done ourselves but the hardwood appears to have been re-finished not too long ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Contact a professional cleaning company and have them come out and give you an estimate. They will be more familiar with the odor. It could be something that died in between the walls or under the foundation.
    Answer Expert Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Jul 17, 2007, 08:43 PM
    You can purchase a air ionizers and it will remove the odor. I am not talking about the cheapies since they do not do a very good job. A unit like the Pentex/Wein Vortex VI-2500 will keep your home smelling fresh for a long time.
    smellyroomaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 07:05 AM

oct18 -

Did you ever fix the smell? We moved into a house recently and have the problem. There's a chemical smell coming from the walls in the master bedroom. It's not a dead animal and it's not mold. It's driving us crazy! I hope you fixed your problem. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

May 31, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Could be famaldihide. I've been in newer homes and homes that have recently been remodeled, and the smell of famaldihide is present. It seems it's used in some particle board, panels, glues, etc. My father purchased a new mobile home back in the mid 90's, and it smelled of famaldihide for years. The only thing that seemed to cover it up were his constant years of chain smoking. (don't know which is worse)

I could smell it in the trailer, but it never really bothered me. Some guest would come over and it would be enough to irritate their senses.

If the you have a wood floor that was recently refinished, it could be the stain, wax or varnish they used to refinish it. Wood stain seems to have a fume that lingers for a while. The last thing I stained emitted a fume for at least a year.
    hartsdale Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 08:37 AM
    Were you ever able to resolve your chemical problem? I too have had a paint odor or at least masking itself as paint odor for 15 months now. One bedroom on the 2nd floor. We replaced all the sheet rock, insulation and moldings. Nothing. We don't think we have mold as there are no signs. Only when the paint is put on does the odor not go away. Any advice? I am beyond desperate and frustrated. Thx!
    communicate Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 03:23 PM
    I had a similar problem. I purchased a gallon of very pricey paint and just didn't have the time to get to the project, so I stored the paint in the garage until the following spring. Little did I know that paint can spoil. The paint underwent extreme temperature changes. When I painted the room the following spring an awful odor filled the air for 2 months. The paint professionals suggested that I purchase a good primer and prime the walls to seal the odor and wait 2 days and then repaint. The paint will take a full ten days to completely cure, but the odor will be gone.
    communicate Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 03:23 PM
    I had a similar problem. I purchased a gallon of very pricey paint and just didn't have the time to get to the project, so I stored the paint in the garage until the following spring. Little did I know that paint can spoil. The paint underwent extreme temperature changes. When I painted the room the following spring an awful odor filled the air for 2 months. The paint professionals suggested that I purchase a good primer and prime the walls to seal the odor and wait 2 days and then repaint. The paint will take a full ten days to completely cure, but the odor will be gone.
    mblesse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 11:37 AM
    We have recently been getting this "fresh latex paint" smell, mostly in our bedroom. The house was completed 5 years ago, and that's when it was painted last. It's driving us nuts... can't figure out what it might be. We're in the country, not near other homes/ buildings, no dead critters stuck in the walls, etc. Anyone else relate to this? Any ideas?
    JJHenry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
    I have had a lot of success with Room Shocker. It is an odor eliminator that works like a fumigation bomb. It really works, is environmentally friendly, and super easy to use. You definitely have to check it out at http://www.biocidesystems.com/roomshocker1.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange odor in my home [ 19 Answers ]

When I came home tonight, there was a strange odor in our house. It smelled like nail polish remover. Nobody in our house had nail polish or remover out, or anything that smells like it. It seems to be the strongest by our washer and dryer. The living room and kitchen also smell. It does not smell...

Home Odor [ 6 Answers ]

We have this odor that smells like mildew. The A/C guy came and checked out the vents and the unit, and could not find anything. Who can we call to figure it out. It's strongest just outside the closet containing the heating/cooling unit, and now it seems to be going through the vent. Please...

Terrible odor recently appears in home [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all! Recently I have noticed a pungent smell coming from our laundry area/porch - this is the first room you enter when you enter our house. The smell is not coming from the washer/dryer however. This smell is rank and can only be compared to a cross of burnt popcorn and skunk. The...

Roving odor in home [ 4 Answers ]

Terrible odor lasts from hours to months. Just started in January, 2007. Old house, bought at sherriff's auction, living here 3 years. The smell travels from daughter's bedroom to master bathroom. These rooms are not connected. Master bedroom is a home addition basically across hall and...

Odor in home [ 2 Answers ]

We have a similar problem as others mentioned. A strong odor only in one room of the house, living room, and not always present. Typically when is it there, we notice in the morning and in the evening, but not usually during the day. Seems to be stronger during the hotter seasons, we're in S FL...

View more questions Search