Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdreamer85 Posts: 44, Reputation: 5

Jul 11, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Can't sleep
    Ok so I have a bit of insomnia and I like to read to pass the time... So I usually just look at a magazine before hitting the hay, but I'd rather being reading a good book, so I'm looking for a few good suggestions... Please no horror types or sci-fi.
    Thanks!:o :o
    Cinnabar Posts: 113, Reputation: 5

Jul 11, 2007, 02:25 PM
    - Eat a small meal with some carbohydrates shortly before going to sleep
    - Use your bed only to sleep or something not visually stimulating to help you get to sleep such as reading
    - Avoid the TV or computer at least an hour before sleeping
    - Avoid exercise in the evening -- do it earlier in the day
    - Avoid any caffeinated drinks after 2pm or so (coffee, soda, etc.)

/edit -- Whoops, I just realized you wanted book suggestions and not suggestions on getting to sleep, lol. What genres do you prefer?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Read a book about insomnia it may be boring enough to put you to sleep.jk Read Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. It is a old book but it is mellow and about a nice family and their neighbors and town:)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 09:00 PM
    When going to bed, I like to read things like Readers Digest, or something that is about science like Science News. For myself, I find it best not to read something that I like so much and in which I will get so engrossed that I will not want to put it down so that I can get to sleep.
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jul 17, 2007, 06:53 PM
    If you like comedy try janet evanovich, crime try michael connelly, let me know what genres you like.
    bigdreamer85 Posts: 44, Reputation: 5

Jul 18, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Ok so, I love Dean Koontz books, but I get way to into them to put them down. And I find readers digest way too boring to read. Thank you though. And I've already read Little Women when I was like 12 and I've also read almost every book by Jane Austen. I'm really looking for newer books, not classics. And I like books opposed to magazines. Thank you everyone who is helping meout! Much love.
    trn Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Sams letters to jennifer by james patterson was really good. And its not gorey or scary or boring!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Author Tawny O'dell Back Roads it was an awesome book.
    gabra_123 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Aug 31, 2007, 12:34 AM
    'Heir Apparent' by V.V. Velde, light fantasy
    'Sunshine' by Robin Mckinley, vampires
    'Ride the River' by Louis L'Amour, western
    'East of Peculiar by Suzan Ledbetter, romance
    'The Seventh Scroll' by Wilbur Smith, egyptology
    'Knight and the Dove' by Lori Wick, hystorical romance
    'Ten Little Indians' by Agatha Christy, mystery
    think_pink Posts: 124, Reputation: 5

Sep 5, 2007, 05:34 PM
    School of Fortune - Amanda Brown and Janice Weber
    The Sleeping Beauty Proposal - Sarah Strohmeyer
    How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls - Zoey Dean
    Fool me once

PS: how to teach filrthy rich girls it's a really good book I highly recommend it
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 05:38 PM
    The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is a great series, but will keep you up not put you to sleep.

I'll have to dig out my syllabus for my Catholic Traditions class. There was a book in that class that could put you to sleep in 10 minutes even after 5 cups of coffee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Never can sleep [ 5 Answers ]

I posted before and from what I said before I still haven't gotten much better. I did get an apartment with a friend and I will move in, in August. So that is good. But I can't sleep. Ever. Some days I have to wake up early and I get painfull headaches through out the day but I still can't sleep at...

Sleep [ 7 Answers ]

Is it true that you can die faster by not getting any sleep, then by not getting any food? I know this probably has been touched on before. Does anybody have any sleeping issues? Problems? Have you dealt with them or is it still haunting you. For me, sitting here on my computer, feeling...

Sleep [ 44 Answers ]

Hi I always go to sleep around 3 or 4 am then wake up between 7 or 8. Is this normal as I don't feel tired. Thanks

Now she won't sleep at all [ 5 Answers ]

It has been a week of crate training so far for our 10 week old beagle. We had some problems with her pooping in her crate, found out she had worms and diharia, stool is now firm sometimes and super loose others. She is on a pill for her diharia and we gave her her worm pill last night. She is...

Sleep [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question that is for anyone who knows anything about sleep disorders or dream interpretations. Anyone think they can help?

View more questions Search