Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puffs28 Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Jul 11, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Justice of the peace
    I'm wondering if anyone who has been married by the justice of the peace can tell me the steps you had to take to make it happen, who to call, what the cost was, etc. Thanks so much!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 12:14 PM
    I phoned city hall, asked for that office and they told me everything I needed to know. Costs vary, and mine was in Toronto 40 years ago, so I don't think giving you the price would be relevant now.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 12:54 PM
    You apply for a license through your clerk of court. Not sure what the fee is now, it goes up a few dollars every year. The clerk of court will tell you if your state mandates any other requirements, such as a blood test. Call before you go to the clerk of court and ask what documentation you need to bring, to make the application, such a birth certificate or divorce papers, etc.

When you get that done, check the calendar for dates the Judge has open and make a time. Bring two witnesses.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 03:40 PM
    At least in the US, a Justice of the Peace is a judge, the position and level of that Judge varies by State, in some states, they hold a high position, in other states, a lower position.

The real cost will still be getting the marriage license, which again varies by location, here the cost will vary depending if you have had the pre marriage counseling course or not. But you can be looking at about 100 dollars for your license.

Also at least in the US, most court clerks have lists of ministers that will also marry you at your home or the ministers home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Perverted Justice [ 26 Answers ]

Hello: If you made a date online with an adult female who told you that she 13 in order to persuade you to meet her, would you be guilty of a crime? I don't think you would be. excon

Justice of the peace [ 2 Answers ]

I've been with my fiancé for 3 1/2 years I love him dearly and we are going to get married very soon but neither of our families are able to help us with the wedding, I grew up living with my grandparents and they recently retired, fixed incomes don't really allow money for weddings, his mom is...

Study of world Religions and aid in the efforts of global social justice and peace [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am writing an essay on global social justice and peace and the role of studying world religions. I am having difficulty in starting my essay. I would appreciate if I can get some help. Thank You Jay

King Arthur And The Knights Of Justice [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. Does anybody remember the cartoon: "King Arthur and the Knights of Justice?"---------> http://tfarchive2.com/cartoons/videoclips/bones.php I loved this cartoon as a child and I am wondering if a DVD collection has been made. I checked Ebay and Amazon and everything, but nobody has anything....

View more questions Search