Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nusiris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Liver health during vicodin use
    Hello, all,
    I suffer from severe pain due to a herniated disc, and thus, I am taking hydrocodone 7.5mg (Vicodin) as well as methocarbamol 750 mg (Robaxin) to reduce pain. (I will likely be using these meds on a semi-long-term basis)

I would like to begin a regimen of herbal/ nutritional supplements to PROTECT MY LIVER during taking these meds. I have read about the benefits of n-acetyl cysteine and silymarin (milk thistle). Information on these and other supplements is much appreciated.
    Cinnabar Posts: 113, Reputation: 5

Jul 12, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Both have hepatoprotectant properties and are good options for general liver health. But as always, speak with your doctor and pharmacist when concerned about adding something to your treatment regimen, even if it's over-the-counter.
    Revolutionary Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Jul 19, 2007, 08:43 PM
    I am not in the medical profession, but I do know that juicing raw vegetables can help cleanse the liver. I have read that raw beet juice, in particular, is a detoxifier... do some research online if you like!
    karenotten Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nusiris
    Hello, all,
    I suffer from severe pain due to a herniated disc, and thus, I am taking hydrocodone 7.5mg (Vicodin) as well as methocarbamol 750 mg (Robaxin) to reduce pain. (I will likely be using these meds on a semi-long-term basis)

I would like to begin a regimen of herbal/ nutritional supplements to PROTECT MY LIVER during the course of taking these meds. I have read about the benefits of n-acetyl cysteine and silymarin (milk thistle). Information on these and other supplements is much appreciated.
    There are fantastic liver de-tox protocols from Germany. You'd need an MD who practices alternative medicine, although you could use a clinic where nurses administer the IV's and a medical doctor supervises.
    karenotten Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nusiris
    Hello, all,

I would like to begin a regimen of herbal/ nutritional supplements to PROTECT MY LIVER during the course of taking these meds. I have read about the benefits of n-acetyl cysteine and silymarin (milk thistle). Information on these and other supplements is much appreciated.
    An especially good chiropractor should be able to relieve a herniated disc, although it is a more serious condition than a bulging disc, but the better ones definitely can. It takes a time and money commitment from the patient obviously but it's been well worth it in my life

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Liver Lesion [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 21 yr-old female. About a month ago I had a laparoscopic surgery, taking out a dermoid cyst. Before the surgery I had a CT scan for the purpose of examing the cyst. However, the report indicated that there is a leision to the liver as well. Specifically, "A tiny low attenuation lesion...

Chopped Liver? [ 3 Answers ]

So I've had this friend I've been seeing on and off for the past 5 years. We landed up having a beautiful boy together. But the initial problem is it is always inconvient for the 2 of us to make anything official. In the beginnin I didn't realize he was with someone and now I no he's with...

Vicodin [ 1 Answers ]

How long does vicodin stay in your system?

Vicodin [ 8 Answers ]

How long does Vicodin stay in a persons system?

Vicodin [ 1 Answers ]

Just wanted to know how long it takes for Vicodin to completely clear from your system. I have been taking this since approx. 1999, only 1/2 to one pill a day or every other day maybe, nothing consistent, but have taken it for years. About 4 months. Ago I broke out in an itchy rash that will not...

View more questions Search