Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sns Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Relinquish rights
    Is there a way to reliquish parental rights on a daughter that I do not see nor know. She is 3 years old and seen her once. I have my wages garnished by the state for child support because she receives the TANF assistance. I will never know my daughter. The mother now has a new husband. Can I terminate right and just owe th back child support so that we both may lead our lives
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Hello sns:

You can terminate your rights, but not your obligatons.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Terminating your rights only means that you terminate the rights to make decisions regarding the health and welfare of the child. It does not mean that you give up your financial responsibilities.

You won't be able to make medical decisions regarding the child, but you will still have to pay.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 11, 2007, 09:40 AM
    You can give up your rights fairly easy, but why, you are not using any of your rights, right to visit, right to have a say in the child's life.

Now if you are talking about paying child support that has nothig to do with rights, this is obligation.

So you will continue to pay child support even if you give up all of your rights.

So why not use your rights, visit the child, and get to know your child.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2007, 09:50 AM
    I really don't understand this. There are umpteen threads in this forum that ask the same questiuon and have gotten the same answer.

But I also agree with Chuck. You don't have to formally relinquish your rights, you have already done so by ignoring your daughter. Doing so gains you nothing, especially not getting out of paying support.
    rwalters0923 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sns
    is there a way to reliquish parental rights on a daughter that I do not see nor know. she is 3 years old and seen her once. I have my wages garnished by the state for child support because she receives teh TANF assistance. I will never know my daughter. the mother now has a new husband. can i terminate right and just owe th back child support so that we both may lead our lives
    If her new husband will adopt the little girl, you will not have to pay child support... it will be just like you never existed. I know this because I divorced and my new husband adopted my children. They are issued new birth certificates also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquish Parental Rights [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old son that I have had custody of, he has been ticketed and arrested 3 times in the past 4 months for drug usage and has had my now 10 year old try marijuana, I have sent him to live with Dad since this last arrest. I do not want my son to return to my home, I am afraid my...

If I voluntarily relinquish my rights [ 2 Answers ]

I have had my parental rights terminated in the past. At present my rights are going to hearing regarding not completing a rehab program I am presently working on it. But it will not be completed till after the hearing and the judge can terminate rights I would like to know if I voluntarily...

Voluntarily relinquish rights [ 2 Answers ]

My ex was not ordered in our decree, however now after 11 years my ex husband has convinced my son to move in with him. Now he's convinced he deserves the support. If I voluntarily relinquish my rights am I still obligated to pay child support?

Relinquish parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of North Carolina how does a father voluntary relinquish his parental rights and give all rights to the mother?

How do I Relinquish my rights to my child? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a stepson and his father wants to Relinquish his rights to his son. So what forms or where can he go to do this.

View more questions Search