Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gary funderburk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 08:21 AM
    1986 El Paso Camper
    My mother has a camper and needs to run wire from where the AC is. She tells me that the wire that is there now is for an air conditioner and she needs to down size the wire to a 12 volt wire. Problem is we have no idea how to do this. I told her I believe that if the wire in place now holds so many volts it will remain that way regardless if she runs smaller wire and possibly burning up the new wire causing problems. She said that she has a power box and a converter box also. She said that there are fuses so my next question is this. Can't she find out which fuse is connected to the line then switch fuse size to match the line size? I have no clue. Please help.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 04:19 PM
    I am not familiar with any campers, my idea of camping is a Raddison, Holiday Inn, etc.

If the AC needs 12 volts, which is DC from the camper, the line voltage from a building is 120/240 AC volts. Really need more info on the "converter box" you have.

Something is needed to reduce the AC line voltage down to the 12 volts DC. Simply replacing a fuse or running smaller wire is not the answer.

May I suggest trying to ask this question over at Cars & trucks, this would be the closest you could get to a camper. Perhaps someone there may be more familiar with the power converters in a camper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 F-150 Truck [ 1 Answers ]

In 1986 ford F-150 how do I get the Needle/seat unstuck

Toyoto 1986 pick up [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my 1986 toyota, is giving me problems, I'm driving down the road and the engine dies, after which I left the car running for 45 minutes and not a problem, it seem that the only time it dies is when I'm driving down the road at about25 -35 mph although I have not tried to take in on the highway....

1986 mtd,18hp,46 in deck [ 1 Answers ]

I have had this in because there are times it will stop pulling. If I shift upwards to a higher gear ,it will start to pull but then quits. It does not happen all the time but it seems that the local repair people can not find the reason for this? The belts are new and the deck has been...

IRA's Prior to 1986 [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased some IRA's prior to 1986 as well as others after that period. I am trying to find out how the prior 1986 IRA's are treated when it comes time to do the Required Minimum Distribution. Thank you

View more questions Search